Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer crashes and must be rest at wall?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Any help appreciated on this mind numbing throw PC out the window problem. been trying to fix this for ages. If anyone fixes this for me I will have a quite, grateful sob

The short of it is when I play games, normally mmorpgs, my computer will just shut down. I will have to switch the plug off and on at the wall and then power up the pc again. The pc will not power up from its own switch.

This normally happens in online games but happens in Oblivion whenever I trigger something like going through a new door. but once ive gone through that door once it wont have a problem going through it again. maddening

I have updated everything I can think of driver wise, cleaned everything (AVG, ZoneAlarm & ad aware). I have tried disabling these when playing but no dice.
Disk is cleaned and defragged.

DxDiag says everything is fine (DX9.0c)

Dont think overheating as this shut down happens within a minute of starting a game like ATITD but I can quake all day long.

My error log for oblivion says this:

02 April 2006 Application Error Faulting application oblivion.exe, version, faulting module oblivion.exe, version, fault address 0x002c7c6c.

I run:

AMD Athlon™ XP 2600+
Version: x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0
Speed: 1905 MHz

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version: 5.1.2600
Service Pack: 2.0

Memory (RAM)
Capacity: 2.50 GB

Radeon 9600

Soundblaster live 24

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi firegolem...

This really sounds like a bad or underpowered power supply. Your symptoms describe the problem almost to a Tee.

By your description, the shutdowns occur during complex video rendering, but only "first time" rendering...that is, the first time the graphics for opening a door is "drawn" to the memory. This requires a lot of work by both the CPU and the video card's chipset. Consequently, they both draw more power from the power supply. Once the door opening grahics has been rendered once, opening the door again produces no additional draw.

I've run into this same problem in editing photographic images.

Does your machine "Click" when it shuts down? Does it seem to work a little better if you start the game immediately after starting the machine after a prolonged shutdown?

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks wannabe1

My power supply is Tsunami ky-350atx and from what I can make out from the many numbers on the side is that its 200w.

The recommended power supply for the 9600Pro (i only have the 9600, but can't find a reccomendation for it) is 300w.

I will invest in a new supply, they seem quite cheap for a 350w. I'll let you know if it works.