Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

desktop settings

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
With media center edition OS could never stablize the desktop settings. Then I got XP Pro SP2 and for quite some time thought I was home free. Just today back to square one - PC insists on Windows XP settings and I want Windows classic settings. Never have had this problem before.

Have had the techs in India tell me various way to set up the settings which I already knew but tried to comply - none of the settings/methods they suggested has worked. Thinking there must be someplace to tic/untic/change in order to keep the settings from bouncing back to default.

Any ideas/suggestions from anyone here?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, one simple way is to disable the themes service

start > run
services.msc
<enter>

scroll down to themes, double click, choose DIsABLE from startup type (and stop if you wish)

reboot. No more themes

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thank you very much gerryf - will give that a try and see how it goes.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
The disabling of themes in msn services worked for a period of time and then it was back to the same old same old - it seems when I shut down for the night and then boot up in the AM is when the system goes to default of Win XP for desktop settings. Still have not found out why. Did run into another person on another forum who is as confounded as I - says she has the same problem. :whistling: