Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer fan malfunction

• Please log in to reply

azuca138753

azuca138753

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have a computer by Emachines that has Windows XP. Occasionally, my hard drive will just shut off by itself. I know that a virus is not the problem because I have scanned with AVG, found 1 virus, and removed it. Maybe this is due to my computer fan? When I start up my computer, the fan located next to the power cord (the fan that I assume is intended to keep the computer from overheating) often malfunctions and spins weakly, as if it is going out of power. I have to tap it with a pen in order to make it spin at all. It also strains during computer usage and makes revving noises. As a result, my computer gets really hot, and just shuts off randomly.

Can someone please help me with this frustrating issue? I would deeply appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Gared

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Modern Computers will shut off to protect themselves from overheating (called thermal protection)

The case fan you seem to describe is generally not the primary culprit in this--it's job is to remove heat from the case---the really critical fan is the one that sits atop the CPU

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
anyway, you should check the PC's temperature

download Everest the Home

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and ATTACH it to your next post

azuca138753

azuca138753

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok here's the report

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
at rest, your cpu is pushing 62 degrees celcius

That is on the very high side if your pc is at rest/idle--the temp probably soars when doing heavy work.

Everest is only reading one fan--not sure which. Should be at least two...and the speed seems a little slow for a cpu fan (should be nearer 5000)

First thing I would do is open it up and clean the dust bunnies out of the cpu fan. (hold the blades and hit it with a can of compressed air--hold the blades because the compressed air will spin the fan so fast it will burn out the bearings)

azuca138753

azuca138753

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you--and compressed air can be found at most computer/hardware stores?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is one of many

http://www.falconsaf...?cat=1&subcat=1

http://www.instaoffi...DSXLPW6#details