Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mozilla Firefox Problems

• Please log in to reply

pedrossi

pedrossi

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hey guys,

MY firefox has been acting up for the past few weeks. I'm not sure if it's a virus or malware or something (I'm pretty sure I"m infected and I have another thread open and am almost done with cleaning up my PC) but maybe it's something else that's causing it.
This is what's happening:
I can't add anything to the bookmarks at all. I click Bookmarks>BookMark This Page, and when I click OK, nothing happens. All my bookmarks were just suddenly gone one day.
Sometimes when i start firefox, I randomly get the installation screen that re-installs firefox all over.
When I go to Tools and change all the options, once I restart my PC (sometimes it takes a few restarts) they're all back to default again.
Also, my Google toolbar doesn't work anymore. I type in whatever my search is, but when I press enter nothing happens.

Anyone have any idea what's going on??

Thanks!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
could be corrupted/damaged from your computer being infected, once your done in the malware forum please remove firefox via add/remove programs. Then install the 1.5 version of firefox and update. If you need any help on how to do this please post back.
thanx
James

pedrossi

pedrossi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I got through with the malware removal and removed Firefox. I downloaded it again using IE and installed+updated it. I opened it and no luck!

I did get it fixed, though, and this is how:

I went to the Documents and Settings folder inside C:. I clicked on my account's folder, and made it so it shows hidden files and folders, then I went to the Application Data folder. I backed up the Mozilla folder then deleted it. Voila, problem solved.

I just had a hunch that uninstalling firefox didn't actually remove all of the data it had on my PC, so I did it manually. I posted this here so that anyone else having a similar problem might benefit from it.

Thanks for all you guys' help, GTG has saved my PC!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
glad to hear it :blink:
:whistling: on fixing your own problem, i thought this could be done, but now that I know that it has worked for someone else, its reasuring that i can suggest it to others.
thanx
James