Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Two Computers

• Please log in to reply

MadHijacked

MadHijacked

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have run into a problem trying to setup a home network and need :tazz:

I have a four port ethernet router (using DSL)

I just purchased a new computer with XP Pro, which I have set for my host computer.

After connecting the cable to my 2nd computer (Windows 98) I was able to connect to the internet with either computer.

I ran the Network setup wizard and everything went well unil the Wizard instructed me to go to my 2nd computer and used the XP OS CD to set it up.

After inserting the cd and clicking on Perform Additional Task. The computer added some needed files from the cd.

I then received a dialog box, with instructions to enter the Windows 98 CD.

I did, and I got an error " choosusr dll. on Windows 98 CD- Rom cannot be found.

It seems that I have a missing or corrupt dll? How to I procede? There maybe other dll files corrupt since I was hijacked in Sept 2004, in which you helped me to get going.

Advertisements

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What will not work, other than the fact that you have a missing dll? Sorry to ask questions, but I need some more infor before I can assist

MadHijacked

MadHijacked

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am setting up a home network and I am trying to set two computers to communicate with each other. Want to share files & programs and share printer.

At this point the only thing I have accomplished is that I am able to connect to the inernet with both computers.

Thanks

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
OK, If your computers just can't see each other in Network Neighborhood, try this:

http://forum.homenet...n/m_4347/tm.htm

MadHijacked

MadHijacked

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
;) Thanks for the information. With the information and a little tweaking I was able to get the two computers talking to each other.

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Glad to hear you got everything worked out.