Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My new build appears dead newbie needs advise

• Please log in to reply

maxxed

maxxed

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've cross posted this on another forum, forgive me but I'm new to computer forums and I'm not sure which is the most appropriate for my problem. I appreciate any input.

I did my first build, and was nervous about it. I did upgrades and cleaned my old computer all the time so I'm not unfamiliar with the insides, I was more nervous about setting bios and not knowing what to expect the first time I turned on a new board.

The parts I got were listed as a barebone system so I figured they would play nice together, I just ordered the individual stuff and a larger memory (same type) and used my old case. The build itself was smooth aside from having to hack saw the metal bracket adapter that screws between the power supply and case because it had a different layout.

Turned it on when I was finished and got nothing. The power led comes on (but doesn't turn off when I press the button), I hooked up a led keyboard and it lights. Other than that it appears dead, no fan action, and no screen signal. There are no onboard graphics so I put in an old graphics card (g-force 2mx). I originally hooked up my old 8o gig hd, when I got nothing I hooked up a new hd that had not been partitioned yet just to see what would happen, nothing. (Does the hard drive have to be partitioned first?)

I used an anti static strap when I built it. I reset the bios switch as instructed in the manual, I reconnected and rechecked all connections including the cpu. Both 20 and 4 pin power connectors are hooked up, the two power leads from the on/off switch are going into the power pins on the board where they should, all ribbons hooked up, the memory and processor and fan are all hooked up.

Even if I can't get a screen, should the fans at least be turning on? When a system checks the drives and beeps, etc, is it using the operating system or the bios?

Am I forgetting something obvious or should I at least be seeing a screen?
If my old video card isn't compatible, is there some other way I would know the system was working?

When you plug a power unit up with nothing connected to it, does the fan spin? (I haven't been able to find an answer to this anywhere). I'm guessing because the led is lighting that it's functional but I don't really know.

new parts:

AMD sempron 3300 socket A CPU

socket A processor fan

EPOX EP-8KRAI Pro Via Socket A ATX Motherboard / Audio / AGP 8X / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA

Ultra 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz

new 400 watt psu

Thanks

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you gone through our guide on non functioning new builds yet, its in the guides and tutorials forum and is a good place to start so you can find out whats not working.

maxxed

maxxed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the respond.

This one?

http://www.geekstogo...ems-t28727.html

I didn't see that, thanks. But going through the lists I had pretty much done all that, I did it again this morning and took the motherboard out again, put in, checked all the connects, left all the drives off, battery out, reset bios pin. Still nothing.

I have a dvd and cd players/burners on a ribbon. If I connect them to ide2 or 1 they do not light their leds but the hard drive led on the case lights. If I unplug them from the board but plug them into the power they do light their leds, so I guess the PSU is working. Does that mean the motherboard controls the PSU fan? because the fan does not turn.

There is a set of reset pins on the MB front pannel button connector (let you reboot without turning off), but I don't have runners to the case, I was thinking these are optional?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Runners? im not sure what you mean, do you mean stand offs, without those it wont work the back plate will short the board. The PSU fan cam be controlled by the motherboard but its usually controlled by itself.

Have you tried it on cardboard with only one stick of ram.

maxxed

maxxed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I mean I don't have a set of wires running to the reset switch. I don't think it matters because my old computer did not have any. Yes, I tried a build outside the box. Several times. The motherboard fits like the old one, which is why I picked it out.

This is what the illustration of the front panel connector looks like from the instructions. The power led connection shows 3 pins, I only have wires to the - and one +, I don't know why it shows an extra positive on the end of the power led connection, but I don't have a wire on the case to go to it.

Attached Thumbnails

• pwr.jpg

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That shouldnt make a difference, it varies from case to case how many front indicators they have and what they use as long as the on/off is connected that shouldnt be a problem.

Although the fact that it wont turn off with the switch would make me double check i have the power switch hooked up properly.

So it comes down to the process of elimination. Since the gfx card is from amother system that i presume worked you can eliminate that as a source of error. And it should be a compatible card.

Have you got the case speaker hooked up properly if there is something wrong youshould get a beep code, if you remove the ram for example and try to boot i=and dont get a beep its a good idicator that there is a fault in the motherboard.

You actually dont need an HDD at this stage when you turn the computer on it loads the bios which willl then go through and find bootable devices but since you cant get to this stage you dont need one.

Have you checked that the CPU core type is actually compatible with the motherboard?

maxxed

maxxed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yea, cpu is compatible, tiger is selling them as barebones. Someone on another forum suggested the vid card might not be a compatible voltage. I can't really find enough info on the mx2 to verify the voltage but they said it was 3, the only thing I could find for specs on the board said the slot was 1.5. I don't know if that's enough to kill the board or cpu, but that's what was suggested to me.
I've done enough upgrades where I think a build shouldn't be this problematic, I'm guessing at this point either the cpu or board is toast. They weren't too expensive so I'll have to decide if it's worth messing around trying to get an exchange. I appreciate the help you offered.