Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Printer Problems

• Please log in to reply

Quari

Quari

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi, my printer is a Lexmark P915 and I'm experiencing some problems. The printer itself is fine in terms of actually printing but whenever I start up my computer with it attached via the USB port the computer will not load up properley until I remove the printer's USB (the Windows XP load up screen simply remains black with a flashing "-" in the top left corner until the cable is removed). I then have to re-insert the Printer's USB if I wish to use it.

Also, I get the "Blue Screen of Death" sometimes when I am removing/re-inserting hardware by their USB ports, I have already posted in another section of this site and have been assured that these are not malware problems.

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Quari

You're right, this definately isn't a malware issue.

Can you please tell me :

1. Either the Make & model of your PC (if it's a branded system such as HP or Dell) OR the motherboard make & model number. You can download Aida32 from the link below to find out the motherboard info :

http://www.majorgeek...ation_d183.html

When you run Aida, expand the 'Computer' branch in the left pane & select 'Summary'. Your motherboard make/model should be listed in the oppposite pane.

2) Do have any service packs installed for XP?

3) Are you connecting the printer straight to a rear USB port, or is it connecting via a USB hub or front USB port?

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi Samm, thanks very much for getting back to me so quickly!

I've downloaded Aida32 and the result returned concerning my computer's motherboard is as follows:

CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4A, 2400 Mh (3 x 800)
Motherboard Name: Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8300
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Canterwood i875P
System Memory: 512MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type: Phoenix (07/21/03)

Concerning the service packs, I'm sorry that I can't be more specific but as far as I am aware nothing major has been added in terms of service packs since when I got the computer and I'm currently running Windows XP Home Edition. Also, the printer is being connected directly to a rear USB port with no hub.

Edited by Quari, 10 April 2006 - 02:18 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. Can you run Aida again please, but this time look in the Operating System branch. In the right pane you should see an entry called OS Service Pack. The latest Service pack you have installed (if any) should be listed there.

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Right, I did as instructed and the result returned was...

OS Service Pack: Service Pack 2

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi, I know you're not supposed to bump but this isn't in the case that I haven't had any replies, I've just stopped getting them. The problem still remains too so any continued help with be most appreciated - thanks!

Mikail

Mikail

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
[font=Tahoma]
Hi Quari.... do you still have the manual for your Dimension 8300? You see your dell desktop comes with a diagnostic light located at the back of it...have you tried using it..maybe we could get some clue on what is happening during boot up. Also have you tried the diagnostic program whick came pre installed with your desktop try using that also... Well we are trying pick up some clue what part of your unit is givin us a problem :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, can you try this please :

power the system on & press the F2 key repeatedly as soon as the monitor LED turns green (or as soon as the Dell logo appears). This should get you into the bios (system setup screen).
Navigate down to the Integrated Device (LegacySelect option) & press enter.
Go to the USB Emulation setting & change the setting from 'ON' to 'No boot'.
Save & exit the bios.

Let me know if this helps solve the problem.

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Fantastic! Thank you very much! That solved the problem with my printer at start-up, I am now asking elsewhere for help with some of my computer's other problems - thank you again!

Edited by Quari, 23 April 2006 - 02:49 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome :whistling: