Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I deleted my computer admin account!

• Please log in to reply

amski78

amski78

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I went to set up a user account on my Windows XP Prof. computer. I was successful, but by accident, I was in the users and while logged in as computer admin, I deleted the computer admin user account. Now I only have the one user, and it is a limited account. I can't add users with a limited account. How do I get out of this mess? Can I do a system restore with a limited user account? Would that work?? I appreciate all your help!!!!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you boot the PC to safe mode it should give you the option to start with the administrator account, then you would need to change the permissions for the limited account, or create an account and give that administrator rights

If not

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

amski78

amski78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The problem is that I don't have a computer administrator account I can log into because I deleted it. I therefore have no access to do anything.....by starting in safe mode, is it still possible to create a NEW computer admin account?

amski78

amski78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Nevermind....I just read your posting again - duh. haha

Edited by amski78, 09 April 2006 - 08:33 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
OK :whistling:

amski78

amski78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'll try to do both of your suggestions - i'll let you know if it works....
thank you!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You still have the option to repair if necessary after this

amski78

amski78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

If you boot the PC to safe mode it should give you the option to start with the administrator account, then you would need to change the permissions for the limited account, or create an account and give that administrator rights

Okay, I re-booted in safe mode, but I don't get an option to start with the admin account.....help!!!

amski78

amski78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
You said in your earlier posting to log on with an admin account or an account with admin credentials. That's my problem - I only have one account, and it's limited. I need to figure out how to get that admin account or an account with admin credentials......and I can't re-install windows XP because I don't have the CD.....is there anything else I can do?

Edited by amski78, 09 April 2006 - 11:01 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did system restore from a command prompt do anything?

Advertisements

amski78

amski78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No, because it is a limited account, there is no access to do a system restore.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start then run and copy and paste this in, then press OK

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

amski78

amski78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did that and it said that this user has no access and to have a computer administrator do it. Is there any way to create another user account without being the administrator?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can run a repair install with a borrowed CD, is that possible?

amski78

amski78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Not right at this moment in time, but possibly....I just wondered if there was a way around it with out getting the CD.....