Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New-need much help - blank system restore

• Please log in to reply

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I hate to say this, but it's blank. The two arrows and home are at the top but that is it. Nothing!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download the attached file and extract it to the desktop. Right click the extracted file and choose "Copy". Navaigate to C:Windows\System 32 and "Paste" the file into the System 32 folder. If prompted to overwrite or replace the file, choose Yes.

See if Control Panel will open.

Attached Files

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Same screen. Blank

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Then do the same with this file.

Attached Files

• Attached File  main.zip   67.47KB   28 downloads

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Still blank.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Again with this file, only this time...as soon as you have pasted the file to the folder, double click on it and see if User Accounts opens.

Attached Files

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
still no

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd give just about anything for an XP cd about now.... :whistling:

Do you know anyone with an XP cd you might borrow for a bit?

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm off work today but I'll see if I can find anyone. I have to leave for awhile anyway so I'll let you know when I get back if I had any luck. Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm just running out of tricks to throw at this....with the cd, we'll be done...up and running in less than an hour. :whistling:

Advertisements

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
No luck. Maybe I should just buy a new computer:)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Wouldn't it make a little more sense to buy an XP cd than spend a grand on a new machine? :whistling:

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Actually, right now I can't afford either. Guess I'll have to hope my son comes up with the disk next weekend.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I came up with an E-machine System Recovery CD - Windows XP- will I lose all my files if I install this?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if we can use it another way. I think it will want you to use it for a complete recovery if you just "run it".

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Let me know if these fail to start from "Run"...we can try them from cammand prompt.

wannabe1