Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New-need much help - blank system restore

• Please log in to reply

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Got message "can't find script engine VB script for script C-Doc."

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download the attached file and extract it to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore

Attached Files

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Did it. You've spent so much time on my problem, thanks for not just deleting me!! It must be tempting!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:blink: :whistling:

Finally...what a stubborn machine!!

How's the machine running? There seemed to be a lot of errors coming up during all this. Try running chkdsk /r from the Run box...see if it will run on the next boot.

As an aside...I NEVER give up.... :help:

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Oh, no. I think my message was deceiving. I just meant that "I did it" extracting the file you told me to do. I'm still getting a blank on restore. I'm still the same pain in the rear that I was when we started.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
LOL....that's ok...it was nice using the "woot guy". Always gives me a chuckle.... :whistling:

Let's try running a system restore using a less conventional means...

Open Internet Explorer and type res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe/start.htm in the address bar. Press "Enter"...does System Restore open?

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
It's just a blank page. A bit of good news though, the disk check did run this time on restart. And you're right it did take quite a while. But it went so fast at the end I didn't get to see what it said.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Progress!

Let's see if we can get it to replace some system files...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did the last checks I suggested run? Either way, if there was no change in System Restore, do the following:

Click Start, then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok".

At the command prompt, type the following pressing "Enter" anfter each one:
  • regsvr32 urlmon.dll
  • regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
  • regsvr32 Msjava.dll
  • regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
  • regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
  • regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
  • regsvr32 Browseui.dll
  • regsvr32 Shell32.dll
Open System Restore...any change?

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Said all succeeded, no change in restore

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We tried this way back at the beginning of this mess, but were unable to access the registry...let's try it again and see if we can get in there now.

Navigate to C:\Windows\System 32, and doublclick the regedt32.exe icon.

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then CLASSES, then CLSID, then {f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}, and click on In procServer32

In the right pane, double click on (Default). Look at the value listed in the Value Data box. It should be C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\JSCRIPT.DLL If it is not, type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\JSCRIPT.DLL into the field and click "Ok".

Then double click on ThreadingModel. Look at the value listed in the Value Data box. It should be Both. If it is not, type Both into the field and click "Ok".

In the left pane again, locate and expand {f414c261-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}, then expand In procServer32. Double click on (Default). The value should be C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\JSCRIPT.DLL. If it isn't, change it and click "Ok".

Then double click on ThreadingModel. The value for this should be Both. Again, change it if it isn't.

In the left pane once again, locate {f414c261-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}. Repeat the above steps with this key, also...using the same values and click "Ok" after modifying each.

(If these keys aren't there, we're going to create them this time. :whistling: )

Close the Registry Editor and reboot. Try to open System Restore.

Let me know what you find...

Edited by wannabe1, 30 April 2006 - 12:11 PM.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
The f414c260... is missing. Still blank on restart.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think this is where the problem lays...

{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58} <---copy this by selecting it and using right click > Copy

Right click on CLSID, point to "New", and choose "Key". Right click in the Name box and choose "Paste"...click in a blank area to set the name. You should now have the key {f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58} under CLSID.

Now right click on the key you just created ({f414c260...}), point to "New", and choose "String Value". Type (Default) in the name box...click in a blank area to set the name. Double click on (Default) and type JScript Language in the "Value Data" field...click "Ok".

Right click on the key {f414c260...}, point to "New", and choose "Key". Type InprocServer32 in the name box...click in a blank area to set the name.

Right click on the key you just created (InprocServer32), point to "New", and choose "String Value". Type (Default) in the name box...click in a blank area to set the name.

Right click on it again (InprocServer32), point to "New", and choose "String Value". Type ScrAuthInprocServer32 in the name box...click in a blank area to set the name. Double click on ScrAuthInprocServer32 and type C:\windows\system32\jscript.dll in the "Value Data" field...Click "Ok".

Right click on it again (InprocServer32), point to "New", and choose "String Value". Type ThreadingModel in the name box...click in a blank area to set the name. Double click on ThreadingModel and type Both in the "Value Data" field...Click "Ok".

{f414c261-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558} <---copy this by selecting it and using right click > Copy

Right click on CLSID, point to "New", and choose "Key". Right click in the Name box and choose "Paste"...click in a blank area to set the name. You should now have the key {f414c261-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58} under CLSID.

Now right click on the key you just created ({f414c261...}), point to "New", and choose "String Value". Type (Default) in the name box...click in a blank area to set the name. Double click on (Default) and type JScript Language Authoring in the "Value Data" field...click "Ok".

Right click on the key {f414c261...}, point to "New", and choose "Key". Type InprocServer32 in the name box...click in a blank area to set the name.

Right click on the key you just created (InprocServer32), point to "New", and choose "String Value". Type (Default) in the name box...click in a blank area to set the name.

Right click on it again (InprocServer32), point to "New", and choose "String Value". Type ThreadingModel in the name box...click in a blank area to set the name. Double click on ThreadingModel and type Both in the "Value Data" field...Click "Ok".

You should now have two keys under CLSID...{f414c260...} which ,when selected, will show the value (Default)....REG_SZ....JScript Language and {f414c261...} which ,when selected, will show the value (Default)....REG_SZ....JScript Language Authoring.

Each of the keys should have the sub-key InprocServer32.

{f414c260...}\InprocServer32 should have 3 strings with the values as follows:
  • (Default)....REG_SZ....Value Not Set
  • ScrAuthInprocServer32....REG_SZ....C:\windows\system32\jscript.dll
  • ThreadingModel....REG_SZ....Both
{f414c261...}\InprocServer32 should have 2 strings with the values as follows:
  • (Default)....REG_SZ....C:\WINDOWS\System32\jscript.dll
  • ThreadingModel....REG_SZ....Both
After double checking these keys and string values, close Registry Editor and reboot.

Try System Restore... :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 30 April 2006 - 03:04 PM.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
No luck - still blank

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We need to double check the InProcServer32 keys...I had a space in the post that you may have copied before I got the edit in...there should be no space. If this is correct, we'll try replacing all or part of the Registry Hive. We'll need to determine if there are any restore points before doing that, though.