Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New-need much help - blank system restore

• Please log in to reply

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
In changing those, I noticed the last three numbers of the f414...are not the same. Should it be 58 or 558?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nice catch...they should both end in 58.

Don't know how that happened as I copied and pasted the whole thing each time and just changed the 0 to a 1 in the first part of the key name.... :whistling:

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I changed to 58 when I was in there just in case. Still no restore though.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've got to step out for a bit. When I return we'll replace the Registry Hive...or at least the part that's not right. I sure hope there are some restore points or we'll be doing a lot of tweaking when we're done... :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if the disk you have will give us the option to repair before we replace the hive.

If you do not get the options just as they are presented in the Guide from the link below...cancel out and let me know.

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I so royally screwed up. I could cry! I can't print so I tried to take a few notes and do the repair thing, all of a sudden it's doing a recovery and now I can't even turn the *&&*%^ thing on. I'm using my mom's computer. I just get the message "System32\drivers\Ntfs.sys is missing or corrupt. Can possibly repair with Windows Setup CD." I know I was supposed to close out of there if there was a problem, but I didn't know what to do once it started. It said it was saving all my files. :whistling: If you want to give this up, I would understand.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...I don't give up.

We're on to the plan we discussed in PM... :whistling:

Shut the machine off and leave it off till then.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thank you.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
OK I'm back online. In device manager there was only one yellow ! and that was in multimedia Audio control. Seems to be working alright but screen is rather fuzzy.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great!

Right click on the desktop and choose "Properties". Under the "Settings" tab, see if you can change the settings for Resolution to 1024 X 768 and the Color Quality to Highest (32 Bit).

Advertisements

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
It won't let me change them

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's what I thought...we've got a bit of driver work to do.

Download WinAudit, install it, run it, and save a report (in HTML format) to your desktop. This will generate three files. Right click on the file named "rightframe.html", point to "Send To" and choose "Compressed (Zip) folder". E-mail that folder to me as an attachment...I'll PM you my address.

vicki T

vicki T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Of course it couldn't be that simple!! I can't get to WinAudit. How about a sledge hammer?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...try Everest. Same deal, save a report (using the report icon on the toolbar) in HTML format and send it to me.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Everest didn't give me the information I need. How about a series and model number off the machine. :whistling: