Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What can I do with my network?

• Please log in to reply

pedrossi

pedrossi

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I currently have 2 windows XP computers in 2 different parts of the house. One of them is what I call the main station, that's where the router is connected to the cable internet and where the printer is. The other PC is where the network adapter is. I got my network working to where I share the internet connection between the 2 PC's, but I wanna do more... For example, can I share files between the PC's? I'd also like it if I could print stuff from either PC's, like sharing the printer... maybe I could hook the printer up to the router or something?
Would that be possible?

Thanks!

P.S. By the way my router is Wirless-G WRT54G from Linksys and the Network Adapter is also from Linksys, it's a WUSB54G. Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
No need to, just right-click on the Printer and choose Sharing. Do the same thing for folders you want to share. Then on the other computer, just find the printer on the network, choose to open it and it'll copy a few files across and get it set up.

Then, assuming both computers have the same workgroup, you can share files that way.

pedrossi

pedrossi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks for the reply.
I went to the Control Panel and there's 2 options so far as I see: using the Wizard thing to setup a Network, or setting up a Wireless Network.
My network is Wireless, so I tried that one. Now, the network was already setup, so I'm assuming what I did just made windows recognize the network. I gave it a name and key and everything.
I also tried setting up a Network using that wizard. After it was done, it said it wasn't able to setup the network???
Then when I found the printer icon on the control panel, I right clicked it and clicked sharing. When I clicked "OK" it said the settings could not be applied. Did I do something wrong?