Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Three problem devices in Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

rosales

rosales

• Pip
  • 5 posts
After uninstalling and then updating my graphics card drivers, I decided to plug in an external USB hard drive into one of my USB ports. Windows XP Pro notified me that new hardware was found:

other PCI Bridge Device
PCI Memory Controller
SM Bus Controller

Consequently, no drivers could be found so now under “Other Devices” in Device Manager, these three devices are shown with a question mark and exclamation point.

What caused this and what does it mean? Was it when I uninstalled my Graphic card drivers? Or was it the introduction of the external hard drive? And what should I do now?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
It means the you are missing the drivers for them, which os is it(XP, 98 or other) did the external harddrive come with a installation cd, lets try that out first.

Edited by fleamailman, 09 April 2006 - 01:50 PM.

rosales

rosales

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello fleamailman, I'm in Bern!! Salut!

OS is Windows XP Pro. I pugged in a Lacie external hard drive that has files on it I am using for a film project. The External drive is FAT32 formatted. My internal hard drive is NTFS. I do not think I needed an installation cd for a USB external hard drive. The hard drive works fine, by the way.

Hope to hear from you soon.

rosales

rosales

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
do these three problem devices have to do with the External Drive? If so, do I just need to install drivers for the Lacie hard drive (which I don't have just now)? or do the PCI Bridge Device, PCI Memory Controller, SM Bus Controller have an other purpose?

thanks.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry for my late reply, very strange because those yellow triangles in device manager mean that the diver are missing and yes they are refering to the external harddrive. Let's do two things then.

windows flag botton and R botton
type devmgmt.msc
click on one of the yellowed driver and ininstal
press: action
press: scan for new material
hope: that all adjusts itself

download a program

Everest
http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

install
click:sumery
(parts drivers ok = written in black, missing = in blue)
click USB written in blue line,
top is link to maker's link site, bellow is download the driver link.
get the driver from there.

Edited by fleamailman, 09 April 2006 - 04:24 PM.

rosales

rosales

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok,

I tried uninstalling the devices and re-installing. The result was "found new hardware" and then the window that asks to find the software for drivers - so no luck with that (back where I started).

Downloaded Everest. Clicked Summary. Lots of devices in blue. (I'm not completly convinced that Blue means problems or half my computer would not work and, by the way, my machine is working perfectly besides my three problem devices) All USB devices were working properly (not in blue). I then looked under "Disk Drives" - found External drive (Seagate USB- in blue). Clicked on link went to web site and read this:

"Seagate hard drives do not require any special drivers for Microsoft Windows operating systems. The generic hard drive driver should support your hard drive."

Now, what exactly are

PCI Bridge Device
PCI Memory Controller
SM Bus Controller

Remember they are listed in the device manager under "other devices" not under Universal serial bus controllers.

?? I need some answers. My USB external drive is working fine. Did I uninstall some drivers when I updated my graphics card? Are you sure these three devices only have to do with my USB ports?

Thanks for your help so far.

Chris.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I am a goblin(tech) who should know their meaning but... I will find out for you later google or sleep then, sleep probably, now though,

Another idea is to redo the disinstall driver again but this time have a copy of XP in the d: drive and when it says "couldn't find" choose browse going inside the CD to drivers\ though I don't remember the exact place

Another idea, do you have the CD of the motherboard, the intergrated drivers will be on it, same way as above then.

But did you find them with Everest, I think you will find explained in the program, all blue drivers are ones which may work but are not the exact driver for the part, did you click on the blue lines and see the manifacturer link, and the download driver link, this I think is the way to go.

Edited by fleamailman, 09 April 2006 - 05:37 PM.

rosales

rosales

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Problem solved!

Uninstalled again and directed new hardware wizard to my mobo cd for all three devices (as you suggested). Drivers installed!

When I uninstalled my graphics card driver I used Driver Cleaner Pro to uninstall all NVidia drivers and it cleaned more than just the graphics driver, obviously.

These three devices were my PCI system managment (NVIDIA nForce4 drivers - ATA controllers??) ??

Thanks for the help and I won't be using Driver Cleaner Pro anymore unless I know just what I'm doing. Thanks for your help!

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I am happy for us both then.