Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AIM

• Please log in to reply

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I hate the new AIM Triton and I refuse to use it. So I kept my version of the reulgar AIM insteaf of switching. the only problem is latley when I leave it running and unattended it restarts itself. I've never seen it actually happen, but I know it does becuase my away message will come off and the Aim website window will be open. Over night this happenes several times becuase there will be 5 to 9 Aim website tabs open, meaning there is a good indicatio that it keeps reconnecting or somthing. But it only happens when I leave it unattended, I could sit here al day and it won't happen. Does anyone know what the problem is or how to fix it without upgrading to AIm Triton. Thanks a lot.

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK AOL's servers are very dodgy and if too many people connect it will disconnect you from there server and re-connect you. This is really a problem but what you could is just change the setting so that it doesn't open the AIM page when signing in to AIM. AIM triton uses the same servers as the old AIM anyway so updating to AIM wouldn't really make a difference. I have used AIM Triton myself and think it is a lot better than the old AIM but it is bigger and has a lot more problems.

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I have used AIM Triton before and I never had the problem of being reconnected. I just got it the other day just to test it out again and there was no problem what so ever. It just doesn't make sense to me becuase it only happens when I walk away from AIM that it does somthing. If I'm sitting here it's fine, but if I leave, it goes nuts. I think the idea of AIM Triton is fine and it has some new features that I like but then there are a lot of hings I don't like. But I guess I'm going to have to get used to it becuase there doesn't seem to be any problems with this one. Thank you.

KenshinX

KenshinX

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
hey, im sorry if i'm not supposed to post in this topic as it might be considered "old" but i thought i'd help this guy out

Okay, in my experience the version of aim you have is probably 5.8, i would reccomend you download v5.9 which you can get in the link below

http://ftp.newaol.co...Install_AIM.exe

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Thanks for the help, but I think I have the latest version. 5.9.3861 I believe is the newest, and it's what I have. I've gotten used to AIM triton, as much as I dispise it... I'm just gonna have to get used to it becuase I don't seem to have any problems with it. 'Yet'

KenshinX

KenshinX

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
triton really boggs down your system by running about 50 different processes which can really slow your computer down, plus all the ads in it just make it worst, i'd rather have one that disconnects than have one that takes up so much resources, but whatever, its your opinion

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I appreciate your advice, and I know that Triton is filled with tons of things that I don't like, but it gets really annoying when AIM reconnects becuase I lose all the windows that contain things that people said to me. I hate knowing that people say things to me and I don't know aboutit becuase it all disappears. And then over night it happens like 15 times so I have 16 windows of Aim.com running. I don't know what to do. I'm just gonna hope that someone can fix it or that they upgrade it and solve this problem.

KenshinX

KenshinX

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
if you want, i believe there is a session restore plugin for aim, would that be of interest to you, if so, then i can go ahead and dig it up in my 120 gigs of data i have for you.