Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer is crashing as we speak

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Look again...I replied to another topic in this thread...I've been editing like crazy! :whistling: :blink:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Then my edited reply timed out... :whistling:

Let's get you a new startup disk...

Download this Win98SE startup disk. Save it to your desktop...double click on the downloaded file and put a new floppy disk in the floppy drive when it asks you to do so. This will create a startup disk to use on your machine.

Edited by wannabe1, 15 April 2006 - 04:43 PM.

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
lol aww its ok.. but.. this isent my comp... i dont got a floppy herre.. but i already have a startup disk.. do u think thats tha problem y its reading Drive D on me?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's looking for something in D:. Make sure the boot priority in BIOS Setup is set to boot from the floppy...that way no cd-rom drivers will be loaded until you tell them to load by choosing "Start with cd-rom support".

The fdisk operation will wipe the drive and remove XP, create a partition, and format that partition...the setup.exe command will start the installation of Win98.

I'll look foreward to hearing how you fare...preferrably from your own computer. :whistling:

wannabe1

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
aww me too.. liek u wudent beleve lol.. its driving me nuts.. and i think if i cant fix it myself.. and this is my last chance on a computer for a while.. that its not gunna get fixed... even tho im not tha one who broke tha stupid thing.. but hopefully thinkgs work out good... *crossin fingers*

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok... im back again.. and this isent my comp... i took ur instructions.. and i did everything i was supposed to.. and it was all going great everything was workin step by step how u told me... until... well.. i did tha partition thing and formated.. and it wall worked.. til i had 2 put in my disk to load tha windows 98... my cd rom drive wont read it.. wen i put in my disk it spits it right back out so i cant load it.. ad wen i type setup.exe... NOW it sez "busy reading drive E".. instead of D.. so.. its my cd rom that not workin.. i need helppppp... n e idea what may be wrong now??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd be willing to bet your cd-rom drive is bad... :whistling: With the drivers on the startup disk (start with cd-rom support), it should have started the installation straightaway. You might also check the disk...make sure it is not dirty or badly scratched.

CD-ROM drives are not expensive and are pretty straight forward to replace.

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
so u think i need a new CD rom?...man... im so doomed... i thot it should have started right up to so i duno wats rong with it.. it hates me...i dont think its tha CD... iv reformated my comp a million times b 4.. its always worked... but wen i put it in... it spits it back out.. and sez "busy reading drive E".. but it doesent even made a loadin sound of nuthin...

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
and i dont understand why it would be bad all of tha sudden... u think watever killed my comp killed my cd rom?.. cuz it was working fine b 4 all this happend...and it seems it liek all happened over night

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
With the symptoms you describe, that would be my first thought.

When a cd-rom drive fails, it can cause all kinds of problems and when they go, it's usually all at once. One minute they're fine, the next they're not. It's probably a matter of the drive went bad and caused the problems on the computer rather than the other way around.

Cd-rom drives, even Cd-r-rw drives are usually less than $40 if you shop around a bit.

Advertisements

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
alright... so if i got a liek.. cd burner kind.. it would be tha same thing?.. and there easy to install?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...on both counts. Tools required...a philips (cross point) screwdriver.

You should get instructions on how to install it with the drive. I can replace a cd-rom drive in about twenty minutes.

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok.. i guess thats what im gunna do.. but one last thing.. is a cd burner one gunna work tha same as a plain one.. only ill be able 2 burn cd's.. or is that a separate thing all together?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It will work the same....and you'll be able to burn cd's... :whistling:

da_badest_chick

da_badest_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok... im gunna check into it.. hopefully now.. ull talk 2 me soon.. on MY computer.. if things go properly... thank you so much for tha help