Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'puter won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

cletis

cletis

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Help. I'm helping a friend fix their computer. I suspect the thing is infected as it won't boot up. The power light comes on for anywhere from a couple of seconds to 10 or 15 seconds and just shuts off. Sometimes it gets to the screen offering staerting in safe mode, etc., then shuts off. It ssems the longer I leave it unplugged, the farther it will boot. I would like to just re-load Windows XP but can't get past first base. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

I'd start by resetting the bios (the method for this should be in the manual). Then see if you can boot up.

Paddy

cletis

cletis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The computer shuts off from anywhere. I get to a settings page by pushing Ctrl - Alt - Enter and about the time a start reading, it shuts off. Nothing in the manual about resetting the bios. I'm open to any options...
Cletis

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Is the computer completeing post (power on self test)?

In other words is there writing on the screen or a logo and then when windows starts to load the problems begin.

Can you acess bios, usually done by by pressing delete when the computer logo appears but can be a different key your manual should tell you how to enter bios or setup.

If you can't access bios without the computer shuting off then its hardeware most likely the power supply (psu) or at least that is the part you would have to swap first.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

In other words is there writing on the screen or a logo and then when windows starts to load the problems begin.

Can you acess bios, usually done by by pressing delete when the computer logo appears but can be a different key your manual should tell you how to enter bios or setup.

If you can't access bios without the computer shuting off then its hardeware most likely the power supply (psu) or at least that is the part you would have to swap first.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Rick

cletis

cletis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
If I leave the PC off for longer than a few minutes, then sometimes it will start XP. Most of the time it shuts oof before then. I can get it to show the Dell screen where I can push F2 and enter the setup page. I had to do this several times before I was finally able to have it stay on long enough to change the default boot drive to the CD drive. This didn't help and I can't get it enter the XP setup program from the CD. Your comments make sense that it is perhaps a hardware problem. Does what I wrote help you confirm that likelihood?

Cletis

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

My Apologies to all for my quad postings I got errors and didn't realize I was doing so.

Now then, with what you describe it must be hardeware, open the case side with the computer off and you will see a green duct carefully pull it away from the heat sink that sits over the cpu. See if the HS is loose in any way if it is then thats your problem.

I have seen this with dell's a couple of times, what makes it loose is the square black plastic retainer that the HS attaches too broke and can no longer hold the HS in place. The computer bios then senses cpu overheat and shuts down.

You have to call dell spare parts and order a new retainer you have to explain it to them as there is no part number but trust me they will know just what you are talking about.

If this is the problem order the part and post back I will give you instructions on how to replace it and properly reinstall the HS

If the hs is not loose then post back and we will try something else.

Rick

cletis

cletis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Don't let anybody tell you that you don't know what you are talking about. I finally got through with a Dell techie and that was the first thing they had me do was to remove the HS and look for damage/cracks. There wasn't any and after about 30 mins of starting, re-starting, un-plugging and plugging the guy came to the conclusion that it is a bad mother board. ($122 w/ tax and shipping). I hope that is the problem 'cause I'm ordering one today.

Thanks for your assistance. Your suggestions made me look at HW as the problem when I was looking oly at virus infections.

Advertisements

:Linux:

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hi,

rick, was wanting to know if you could PM me on how to reinstall the HS anyway? im a curious little devil and wouldnt mind knowing =)

btw congrats on the computer problem, im glad your problem is solved

cletis

cletis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sure. You can contact me at [email protected]

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Don't take me wrong and never take my oppinion over a dell tech because they know there parts and have most likely seen this problem before but I wonder how he came to the conclusion it was a bad board without testing the psu.

Good luck with the new board and post back when you get it all together

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Linux

Reinstallation of a hsf really depends on what processor you have,

for Intel go here to down load a installation guide,

for Amd go here.

One of the main things to reinstall a hs is to clean the old paste off with isoproplyne alchol and then apply new, I always use artic silver5 but you must follow the instructions on there website to apply because a common mistake is to apply to much. In general if you spread artic silver as thin as you possibly can you will have no problem, I use a piece of credit card to accomplish this.

I refer to these sites because without a visual it is hard to explain the mounting clips.

One other important note for Amd socket A users is that when looking at the hs from the top down it is possible to install the hs 180 degrees in the wrong direction and this is a common mistake that can ruin the mobo and cpu as soon as the presure from the clips is applied. The trick here is to look at the bottom of the hs and make sure the stepped portion of the hs is facing the part of the cpu socket that says 462.

Rick

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks rick, i appreciate it

im in the process of building my own extreme gaming computer, so far i have transparent case, k8-triton nforce 3 motherboard with amd 3400 939 processor, will need to get the heatsink next..

thanks for the suggestions man, i owe you =)

-matt