Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PS2 and Linksys Router Problems...

• Please log in to reply

lillya

lillya

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, so I am very frustrated because I have been playing an online game (FFXI) using my PS2 for quite a while now. I took a break from playing for about a week and when I tried to go online again using my PS2 I got an error saying that my PS2 could not access the DHCP server.

I tried searching online and have read info saying it might be a problem with a dynamic IP address and to change my router settings to use port-forwarding (I am using a Linksys EZXS55W router). However, I am unable to access my router through the suggested way. When I try typing http://192.168.1.1 into IE I get a message saying the page is unavailable. Also, I have been unable to figure out how to set a static IP address.

I am trying to access my router through my laptop which can access the internet using the same router that will not work for my PS2. My laptop shows the following for ipconfig/all

IP Address 169.231.35.147
Subnet Mask 255.255.252.0
Default Gateway 169.231.32.1
DHCP Server 169.231.0.30

Also, I have a cable modem with service through a university's resnet system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I really want to be able to get back on FFXI!!!

Advertisements

pedrossi

pedrossi

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Have you tried reconfiguring your PS2's network adapter by inserting that black disk that came with it? That might work if you input your new IP address in there.

If that doesn't work, try calling Linksys 24/7 support, it's free. The fact that you can't access 192.168.1.1 is a hint that something's definetly wrong.

Can you access the 'net through the laptop when it's connected to the router?

lillya

lillya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the advice. I could try adding an IP address through my network settings on the PS2. The only problem is that I have no idea what IP address to use. I get internet service through a DHCP that uses dynamic IP addresses. How do I know what to use?

And yes, I can access the internet through the same router that my PS2 does not work on. My home computer can also connect through that router. This makes me think that it is a problem with the router in conjunction with my PS2. I read online somewhere that a PS2 does not work well with dynamic IP addresses so maybe this is a problem?

Also, I will try contacting Linksys ASAP, thanks for the advice.

pedrossi

pedrossi

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Well I'm not an expert at this but since no one else seems to be responding I'll go ahead and tell you what I'd do. I think you may be right about PS2 not liking dynamic IP's, so what I'd do first is contact Linksys about the router. Once you get everything setup and corrected, try playing the PS2 online. If that doesn't work, you can try to ask the Linksys people about having a static IP, and if they can't help you, contact your ISP.

I can't really tell you what else to do because I'm not a GTG admin and I'm not an expert in this area so I wouldn't want you to try something in vain possibly making the situation worse. However, here are 2 very useful links I found if you're having trouble with the network adapter:

NETWORK ADAPTER TROUBLESHOOTING (THIS IS A GOLD MINE!! 99% of the time it helps people diagnose their problems)
http://www.us.playst.../415013902.html

NETWORK ADAPTER STEP-BY-STEP INSTALLATION/CONFIG
http://www.us.playst.../415013905.html

I hope I helped you a little bit. Good luck with it, and please let me know how it goes :-)

lillya

lillya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well, I just found out that it is not a problem with my router because what I thought was my router is actually only a switch. The problem is now with my modem. I am going to make a new post on the topic since it is now different than I originally thought.

Thanks for your advice! :whistling:

lillya

lillya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I recently took a break from playing Final Fantasy and when I tried logging back on I got an error. It is very annoying because I want to play...

The error I get is POL-0020. It says something about not being able to access the DHCP server. I don't understand because it was working a while ago and I still have access to the internet through my laptop and desktop. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a problem with my modem? Perhaps I need to open a port or something? Or maybe add an IP address manually?

Help please :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i actually went ahead and merged these as they are still somewhat related...just to keep with good house keeping