Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access Point or Wireless router?

• Please log in to reply

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I have a home wired network of 3 computers. I am getting a laptop and want to add wireless network in my house. I already have a wired router. So if I understand the difference between wireless Access points and wireless routers, I can do 1 of 3 things.

1. Keep my wired router and connect a access point
2. Toss the wired router and hook up a wireless one.
3. Connect a wireless router to my current wired router.

I am asuming option 3 wouldn't be the best idea. So that leaves options 1 and 2. Which would better? Speed and then price in consideration.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Andy,

If you toss out the wired router and purchase a wireless router, then it means you'll also have to purchase Wireless Network Adapters for each of your computers. Unless of course you purchase a dual router, in which case you could connect both your wired and wireless computers to the same router (probably the best option if you have your heart set on purchasing a new router).

As to what's the best option, it really depends on you.. You should be aware however that if you purchase an AP, it will need to be plugged into one of your Ethernet ports (so make sure you have enough free ports). Also, make sure that the AP which you purchase has a strong range.. Might not be as strong as a Wireless Router.