Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defrag Suggestions Please

• Please log in to reply

Onestep

Onestep

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
I am looking for a something to defrag my computer. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was told to get Perfect Disk, or O&O and many others. I am leaning toward Perfect Disk but I heard its not that great. Any and all help is deeply appreciated. Thanks & God Bless.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
The defrag that comes with windows gets the job done. Have you tried that?

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Yes I have but I thought there might be something better

retrac1324

retrac1324

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Disk Defragmenter that comes with XP is quite good.
Raxco Perfect Disk is more for proffesional/business use, but it would still work.

Symantec Norton Speed Disk takes a long time, but works.

System Mechanic 6 Defragmentor takes a long time as well, and isn't very effective [from what I observe].

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
System Mechanic 6 Defragmentor does take a little longer but it works perfectly and has really made a difference to my PC. System Mechanic 6 is a great program with lots of utilities.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
IMO sometimes adding more things complicates matters.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I've been using Diskeeper, i really like it and hvent had any issues. You can try the free version oif u want to, ofcourse it doesnt hve the advanced scheduling features of the paid version, but u can still try it out, heres a link
http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=1207

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The free one from diskkeeper has some limitations (Some files are not defragmented because there is no location on the drive big enough in which to defrag the file, which can leave hundreds of fragments on the drive).

Anyway, the basic one that windows comes with is fine (and based on diskkeeper, so it has the same limitations), it's just not as pretty as the rest.

An interesting alternative is DIRMS and Buzzsaw

http://www.dirms.com/home/homepage.asp