Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

E Drive

• Please log in to reply

tanni7

tanni7

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
No matter what I try, I cannot eject a cd that is in my E Drive tray. I press the button and nothing. I went into my Window's Media Player under Tools, and Eject, and all I get is an hourglass and it says that it isn't responding. Then I also tried going into My Computer and right clicking on E Drive, and the same hourglass appears with the same response. I tried double clicking on E Drive too, and the same thing occurs. I can't seem to eject this disk from the tray, and even though it seems like a fairly small problem, it is really frustrating me to no end! Could anyone give me some suggestions on how to solve this dilemma? It would be much appreciated! :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Reboot the PC and try opening it as it boots, it may open when it gets to the desktop

Look for a tiny hole on the drive, use a straightened paper clip inserted into the hole to open the drive

tanni7

tanni7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Thank you very much for your helpful tips Keith! I tried the paperclip trick, and I was successful in getting the cd out of the tray so at least I have that back. However, the light is still on as if the drive is busy even though there is nothing in there anymore. I tried rebooting, and pressing the button for the tray to open at the same time, and nothing happened. So basically, I have retrieved the cd but the E Drive is still in "busy mode" and the button is not functioning to open and close the tray. The button is not broken so I can rule that out. I am open to anymore suggestions.....thanks once again!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, right click the CD Drive, click uninstall, confirm then reboot, Windows will install it as it loads

You could also look for a firmware update but you must use the correct one

tanni7

tanni7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I appreciate your efforts in trying to solve my problem, but it appears that having the computer turned off over night fixed it. When I turned it on this morning, the light was still on as if there was still something in the tray, and then it just turned off. As it was booting up, I pressed the button, and the tray came out no problem. Such a stupid little problem, but now it's been fixed. Thanks to Keith for your help!! :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Is that how you do that??? :whistling:

You mean I don't have to use a 10" steak knife to pry it open anymore :blink: Who wouldda thought a paper clip was stronger than a knife.

JUst kidding ,glad it worked out for you tanni.

Edited by TakeBK, 10 April 2006 - 11:45 AM.