Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dropping connection constantly

• Please log in to reply

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
On a daily basis, I am having my computer disconnect from the internet. If I leave the computer for even five minutes, or sometimes while I'm reading on a website, I will go to change pages, go to another site, or open another window and I get the icon in my tool bar saying local area connection is off and I am no longer online. I have to go through the repair of the connection, with the renewing of the IP address, and all the rest.

This problem is relatively new. I have only had a problem with it in the past month or so. I am not on a network, no other computers are on the internet except this one. What causes this to happen and how can I prevent it from happening?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In control panel, network connections, right click the connection, click properties, is there anything about disconnect if idle

Download and run this

http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=7

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I did find, after much looking, under Network Connections>Local Area Connection Properties_Connect Using "Intel ® PRO/100 VE Network Connection Properties"...-configure-Power Mangement> a selection that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" - is that it? --- I unchecked it. Will that solve the problem?

Edited by irish_eyes, 09 April 2006 - 11:40 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Possibly not, though winsockfix should help

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
You're right it didn't fix it! I downloaded the WinSox and ran it, hope that solves the problem - it's really aggravating!

I'm still running really slow though, so I'm going to go over to the other board and post a Hijack log file.

Thanks for your help!

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
The Winsock fix didn't fix it either. Within an hour after I ran it, the connection shut down again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has Malware said anything

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Haven't heard from them yet, going there now to check