Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Minimalist System

• Please log in to reply

SINCITY

SINCITY

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello!

I'm looking to either upgrade or build primarily for Internet browsing. What I want is a machine that is:
  • extremely quiet
  • when left on and not in use has virtually no power draw.
  • boots rapidly
  • is extremely stable

I'm not a gamer, my 20g hd has served me very well and is only 2/3 full after years of use. I'm looking for component suggestions that will accomplish the 4 things on my want list very inexpensively.

Thank you for your thoughts/help!!

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well it deppends on your budget
and what exactly you want with the system
e.g
screen?
video card?
how much RAM you want?

but now days systems are drawing alot of power becuase of the high levels of proccesing power.
if your looking for something that boots quick then you might have to spend a little more even high end systems take around 20 - 40 seconds to compleatly boot into the windows log on screen

how much is your budget and what are you already looking at

AMDs are usually cheaper if you dont want to do DVD editing or stuff like that
the low end AMDs are going to be fine for browsing the internet and similar tasks
but may suffer a little if your multitasking

but to be extreamly quiet that is a little more difficult depending on the system that you want

if you want something high end then cooling is a big issue but for the middle to low range proccessors then it should be fine,

here are some good sites to have a look at for parts and prices

www.tigerdirect.com
and
www.newegg.com

troppo

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think this would do just fine.

http://www.tomshardw..._all/page2.html

SRX660

Fred Richardson

Fred Richardson

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Have you thought about a shuttle?

I was looking at the bare-bones shuttles a while back. They start at around $180 and top out around $540 for the SLI/Athalon X2 uber version. The price gets you the cute box with a mother board and power supply. Some may have a minimal form of onboard video, otherwise you have to get a video card. You definitely have to get a processor and ram (and OS, etc). They come in Intel and AMD flavors.

You can also build up your own micro ATX SFF box from the ground up (I can point you to some web resources if you want). I like to look at the "built-to-order" versions just to see what companies are stuffing into these things (pcsforeveryone and gamepc both sell shuttle boxes, and so does shuttle itself). There are a few SFF oriented forums out there worth checking out.

The shuttles are supposed to be pretty quiet (when they don't have high power consuming components running inside them). I thought the shuttles were neat, but you do pay a bit more for this SFF stuff.

-Fred