Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP log in

• Please log in to reply

Shelley430

Shelley430

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
:blink:
I don't know what I did, but on my daughter's laptop I screwed something up, and now when you start the computer up it goes to the Windows XP log in screen but she's never used it so she doesn't have a pass word. Unfortunately it's a Dell and they will help for a "minimal fee." I was able to get in by retyping her user name and hitting enter without needing a password and made sure when I restarted I didn't hit the log off key but it still went back to the log in screen. I hope this helps explain the problem.

Thanks so much. :whistling:

Advertisements

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
hey Shelley430,

try this:
go to control panel, >> user accounts >> change the way users log on/off...choose the one you want and the next time you log-on you'd just have to click on your user icon to log-in...no typing of passwords. :whistling:

side note: did you happen to install visual studio? coz if you have, it automatically creates a .Net account for you(which i don't think you'll ever really need). hope this helps!

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
To me it sounds you have added the computer to a domain to get the domain login like that.

Shelley430

Shelley430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Neverborn,

I did actually go to the user accounts in the control panel to see the log in, and there is no log in listed for the computer, so I'm at a loss as to how this happened. I am in the process of trying to figure out how to conform her router and was trying to figure out how to communicate her computer with her router (she's never used it). This is a whole other issue I plan to post also, but maybe this isn't the thread to do that.

Anyway, that's what I was doing and when I rebooted I got the log on Windows box. I did finally get in. All I did was retype the user name that was already in the box and hit return, and this let me in. She has no use for the log in page since she's the only user. I know that when I got XP I set it up to bypass the log in also since I was the only user, but of course I can't remember how I did that.

So to make a long story even longer, I would like to get rid of that log in page. When I did see that there was nothing in the user accounts about log ins, I made sure I just restarted the computer to reboot, I did not log out, but it still came back on with that page. :whistling:

Oh, and to answer your other question: No, I did not install visual studio. I hadn't installed anything at all.

Thanks so much for your help -- Shelley

Shelley430

Shelley430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
SuperSam,

If I added the compuer to a domain (and I have no idea how I did that!!), how do I undo this?

( :whistling: BTW, anybody an expert on routers???)

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
not much on hardware [much less on networking], myself... :whistling: , but.

when you set up the router [i assume, to connect your computer with hers?], did you happen to create a mapped network drive? if you did, try going back to the configuration process. there should be an option there to Reconnect at Logon. Enable that, and choose the user account you want XP to log on to, and that's it.

that's all i can think of...as for the adding the computers to a domain, let's turn to SuperSam for that. that might be it, too.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download tweakui, a powertoy for windows xp

http://www.microsoft...ppowertoys.mspx

Installl it, run it, go to LOGON ON, expand it, choose AUTOLOGON, type in the user name of the user you want to autologon, click the set password if youhave one.

Shelley430

Shelley430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Neverborn,

Yes, I'm trying to connect my daughter's computer with mine. What a headache. I honestly hate to sound dumb, but I probably didn't create a mapped network drive since I have no idea what that is!! lol I called Dell and they did actually walk me through checking the router. When my daughter bought her computer a year or so ago she was under the impression she needed a router for internet with a laptop, so she bought it but has never had to use it, so we are both clueless! Evidently the router works so now I just have to figure out how to get it communicating with her computer.

As for the windows log on screen, that's gone. I did go back and undo a few things I did the other night and I got rid of that. Now we're back to the networking problem.

Shelley430

Shelley430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the help, Gerry, but I fixed the problem. I just undid a few things I did to the computer a few days ago and that did the trick. Gees, I hate computer problems. Two things I hate most in life: Car problems and computer problems!! If they both run smoothly then life is good. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.

~~Shelley

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
good to hear! :whistling: as for your networking problem, i'd go ahead and post a new topic in the hardware forum...those guys could help you better... peace!