Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multiple HELPCTR.EXE

• Please log in to reply

henhen

henhen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

you're my last hope...

I noticed the help center of my windows xp opened so i closed it....later in the task bar i saw 10 help centers opened so i closed them like a group.

Later in the task manager window i saw about 35 helpctr.exe opened...i couldnt close them all, some were nonresponding when i tried to stop the process..seemed like they just kept reopening...the help center window would open as well but by this time very slow as memory was low.

I had to shut down my laptop to regain control

Next time i opened taskmanager, its help page also opened. i closed it....later the same >50 helpctr.exe appeared, i tried closing them to no success...a warning window appeared and some error about helpctr.exe if i wanted to end it or 'rebug' it or something.

i went to Pchealth found the helpctr.exe file and renamed it...
reboot and now in taskmanager the help for taskmanager opens once but reopens a min after i close it. The regular helpctr.exe opened but I closed it by right clicking it on the taskbar.

i did the hp restore which is supposed to restore everything to factory specs...i think it formats the harddrive...even after installing windows when you put in your name etc., the help center circle with the question mark kept poppling up? every thing is the same as before it did the restore

i rename helpctr to helpctr2
i close task manager and now my mouse pointer flashes the busy hourglass so i open taskmanager and i have 25 HELPCTR2.EXE on and the help window is opening...i hear clicking sounds like if im clicking on something...cpu usage is only 1-2% commit charge 379620/477272..i click on the taskbar and close the group and all is normal...for a min.....

HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP ME PLEASE..
(i noticed that gringo had the same or more serious problem---in the forum search but he returned his computer so there is no follow up)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
A hp restore can actually leave user settings alone without reformatting (non destructive restore)

If you performed that, you could have malware running in the background causing this issue (or an errant start up setting)

Please run hijackthis (see link in my signature), then save a log and AS A TEXT FILE (FILE > SAVE AS) then ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodal and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty.