Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FIREFOX vs IE?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
1st let me say I LOVE WHAT YOU GEEKS DO!!!You are oh so many peoples heros Im sure!So after my last xp repair it was suggested to me to try firefox.What is the difference between Firefox & Internet Explorer?My IE browsing can be slow,is firefox faster?And finally if youd reccomend Firefox How do I install it?Please & Thank You!

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
firefox is faster for me. No pop-ups either.

Look at my sig. to get firefox. :whistling:

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
so would i uninstall IE?

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
do i uninstall IE?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No, you will not uninstall IE...you will need it for Windows Updates. Some other sites (like Panda Active Scan for instance) will also require you use IE. That and IE is so tightly integrated to Windows that to remove it may actually damage the operating system... :blink:

Just set Firefox as your default browser and you're good to go! :whistling:

wannabe1

PhalanX

PhalanX

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
lol.... *contemplates the awesomeness of being able to uninstall internet explorer*... I know first hand how tightly integrated it is with the os... internet explorer just screwed up on my comptuer and you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that didn't work because of it... one of them being system restore (the very thing I needed to fix the problem (or so I thought, but thats another story entirely))...

but all that aside...

Firefox is awesome, apart from all the cool features and cusstomisability, once it loads it is faster than ie, and from what I have seen it has better security...

Plus it displays websites alot better than internet explorer because it has a lot more support for the document object model and css...

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
anything else I should know about firefox before Im off the try it out??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just be sure to check out all the themes, add ons, and extensions available for Firefox. You can make it look and behave just about any way you wish.

If you like Firefox, check out Thunderbird (e-mail client like outlook...only better) and Sunbird (calendar/planner)...they're awsome, too... :whistling:

wannabe1

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
i got firefox now.I LOVE THE THEMES!The only bad thing is I have to rebuild my bookmarks/favorites list.Also I like to listen to music when doing ANYTHING on my computer & it looks like firefox has a ton of media options.I usually use windows media player.I noticed that when Im listening to my beats while using firefox that firefox seems a lot slower.Is there anything I can do to help these 2 work together?Or do you have any suggestions?

PhalanX

PhalanX

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
When you first install Firefox it normally asks you whether you want to import the bookmarks from internet explorer...

In my opinoin, Windows Media Player is a particularly bad media player compared to others out there, I think it plays music at a lower quality than other players and it does use up ALOT of memory, but it does the job I guess :whistling:.

Memory use is most probably the reason why things are running slow though. Admittedly, Firefox uses a fair whack of memory itself so the combination might be using alot of your system memory causing it to run slow.

How much RAM does your computer have?

(to determine this find my computer, right click on it, go to properties and then it should show up on the right-hand side of that dialogue box, towards the bottom...)

Advertisements

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
I tried the right click on the computer thing & no RAM info.Whats another way i can find out?

TechieNate

TechieNate

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Firefox has better security than IE

PhalanX

PhalanX

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hmmm, thats weird... Did the dialogue box look like the image at this link:

http://www.amherst.e...-connect-03.JPG

Thats what it should look like, and the RAM info is under Computer along with information about your cpu...

but if it doesn't show you that then another way to see it is to press alt+ctrl+del (all at once) and then click on task manager... While you have firefox and windows media player running, see what the Commit Charge is (it is at the very bottom of the window and to the right... it will have a number followed by an M then a / then another number followed by an M (i.e. 349M / 2462M, which is what mine currently is)... This will tell us whether it is a lack of memory thats causing the problem, because the first number tells us how much RAM is being used and the second number is telling us how much RAM you have :whistling:

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Check my mini sig :blink: Safer, Faster, Better. Firefox :whistling:

IE vs FireFox

Edited by alandemartino, 11 April 2006 - 03:39 AM.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
ok PhalanX my commit charge is 228180k/436496k. & my cPU usage is between 20% & 30% its fluctuating