Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2000 not booting after power failure

• Please log in to reply

bird32

bird32

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All,

I have an older IBM Intellistation machine which experienced a power failure the other day. trying to start it up again afterwards I get the following error:
8603 Pointing device error
followed by an attempt to boot off of the network, and finally this error:
1962 No OS found, Press F1 to repeat boot sequence.

Repeating the boot sequence returns the same results. If I go into the setup/config of the machine it indicates that neither the mouse nor any of the primary hard drives are installed. I can change the setting for the mouse easy enough, but am not sure how, or if I should, change the settings for the harddrive.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Bird

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sounds like your harddrive died, but it is possible, I supposed that your default hardware settings for your drive are wrong.

The pointer error may indicate that the bios battery is dead and that the hardware settings for drives is erased as well.

I would definitely check to make sure that bios can see your drives. In some older computers, automatic did not work and you needed to set up the drives manually by plugging in the number of cylanders, sectors, etc

bird32

bird32

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks very much for the reply Gerry. From what you say it doesn't sound promising.

However, In order to check to see if the bios is seeing the drives, what do I need to do? Going into setup indicates that they are not installed, and I haven't been able to find and option to automatically detect, or to plug in the numbers (not that I even know what they would be). It does recognize one drive that is installed, but it is a third 'data only' drive which has no OS info on it.

Bird

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
generally, using cursor keys, you can move to select a drive controller (primary master, primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave),

and click enter to access the setup options for the drive.

I am not familiar with the IBM Intellistation nor can I seem to find any manuals floating around out there.