Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New mobo problems

• Please log in to reply

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi all,

I have a computer which I built with the spec below which worked perfectly, and today I got a new motherboard, which was the ASUS A8R-MVP I stuck it in my PC put all the cables in and everything.

And now it doesn't boot up I don't even get the Bios post beep and I don't get anything on my montior either.

What is the problem and how is it fixed? :blink:

Thanks all :whistling:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried it out of the case on cardboard, check our new build troubleshooting guide for details.

callard

callard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Yay the best replyed first :blink:

Um would puting it on cardboard and turning it on really help?

Cause every time I turn it on all the fans and everything go etc, but nothing really happens, I was begining think the the motherboard just be f***ed or something. I cleared the CMOS once, as it tells you to in the book. But still nothing happens :whistling:

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
RMA it mine [bleep]ed up too its a faulty bios get it RMA asap trust me

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Trying it on cardboard with only the minimum hardware is the standard start and helps you test wether its just a short problem and check if its your memory. Before you RMA it i always like to double check its not because it wasnt installed properly. PS would have been good if you told me the fans were going before hand as well.

However given what we have seen of Asus motherboards lately if it doesnt work its probably the board and it needs RMAing, but its always nice to check, but since its an upgrade and everything worked before hand then i would send it back put everything back together using your old motherboard and if all is fine you know for sure its the new board and you didnt accidently break something moving it over to the new board.

It just sounds like another point against Asus they seem to make very good boards but they also seem to be the most unreliable out the box.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Hes having the same problems i ahve had with my Abit my Hd spun up fans were on mobo lights turned on my dvd drives didnt.... Bios was shot....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
We saw alot of it after christmas but that was with the other Nforce 4 board and it had a bad bios at least some boards had the bad bios it seemed hit and miss.

callard

callard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi everybody, And thanks for all your help.

I have now fixed the problem, and heres the problem I had and how I fixed it:

Problem:

Existing PC had the old motherboard taken out (Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9) of it and had a new motherboard (ASUS A8R-MVP) put in. After put all the wires and RAM and other card in, I turn on the PC and it all works all the lights come on all the fans come on etc but I got nothing coming up on my monitor even though it was pluged in.

I put back in - all my four sticks of RAM, my graphics card, my CPU, my sound card and all the wires.

How it was fixed:

I took everything off the motherboard apart from the CPU, then I put only the bear minium on the board this being, 1 stick of RAM and my graphics card, and all the wires (duh). I turned the PC back on and I got the 1 beep post I'd been waiting for, 1 eep means everything is working correctlyand nothing is broken or unpluged. I then installed and uninstalled all the stuff I needed to, and put all the things back in including my sound card.

So whats was wrong:

The BIOS didn't seem to like all four of the DIMM slots being taken up or my sound card or it was both.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps some people like me out there :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
See now you know why i told you to build it out the box like the guide tells you. Can you get the RAM and sound card in after a bios update there might be a fix, not liking x-fi soundcards would be a big disadvantage that they would have fixed, is your ram on the compatibilty list.

The big question on my mind is why did you upgrade your good nforce 4 board, for an ATI crossfire board(which is very good mind you), you know you cant use SLI in that board because its crossfire.

callard

callard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Sorry warriorscot I didn't say before, I have a X1900 XT and I'm planning on getting a master card later on, so tht should put your mind at rest :blink:

And I upgrade stuff from good to the bogs (you know wahts) is because I work and I already have a car and so one (I'm only 16), so I have the money to upgrade my compuer as I like. I don't wont to sound big headed because I work for my money :whistling:

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
dam i wish my mobo was solved that easy