Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Client Tips

• Please log in to reply

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
My apartment complex offers free wireless internet access so I just got a wirelss card for my PC. I have been searching the net for tips to protect myself, but all that I can find is how to protect the network.
So what I need is info on how to protect myself as a client who can't change the network settings. What risks do I face when connecting to my bank to get my balances and how do I minimize that risk?

Advertisements

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I don't seem to be getting any help on this one. Have I posted in the wrong place? Is the information available somewhere already? I would be more than happy to read it if I can get a link.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi anazopyreo,

Sorry about the slow response.

Do you know if your apartments wireless has encryption setup (to stop outsiders / unauthorised users from accessing it)?

I would recommend that you do not share any files -- so, ensure that you are currently not sharing any drives / folders.

Along with this, ensure that you install, and maintain a firewall. I would highly recommend Kerio Personal Firewall, as it is free and works very well. Once you have this / a firewall installed, this will block anyone from accessing your computer in the conventional means. If you do this, your computer really should be safe within the Wireless network -- assuming, of course that you have active anti-virus and anti-spyware applications installed.

- Dan

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Dan, thanks for your response. How do I know if they have encryption setup? The people that I get to talk to don't know anything about the computers and I don't get to talk to the people that know so asking is not a real option.