Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not what I expected from microsoft

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I have recently finished building a new system (Athlon x2 +4100, msi k8n neo4 platinum mobo, 2 gb corsair ram, seagate 80gb hd for os and wd 250 gb for everything else). I was running a retail version of xp pro on the old machine. I was planning on moving pro to the new machine since it was retail and just reinstalling the oem xp home on the old machine. I expected that when I contacted microsoft that I would not be able to reactived xp pro since none of the configuration would match and I would have to jump through some hoops about wiping the os from the old machine before being allowed to activate the new installation. However, microsoft did not ask anything about discrepanceis between the new system and the old system. What am I missing? At this point microsoft has no assurance that I have wiped xp pro off of the old machine. Am I going to get some nasty surprise after I've loaded several gb's of stuff on the new machine? Or is my son (who inherits the old machine) going to lose access to a couple of gb's of music when microsoft suddenly finds that xp home is reporting a different system? I'm confused. I think I'm done and just don't want a hassel. Am I ok at this point?

Advertisements

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I have heard many debates on subjects referencing loading OS with different configs even on Virtual machines. Most of the out come was Example: You can load the OS on 5 virtual disk but can only have 1 running at one time for licensing purposes because it is considered "Backup" which you are aloud to make. They are not to be used simultaneously because then you would need licenses for each one you are physically running at one time.

They might have herd you say you were going to transfer XP Pro to the new and use an additional OEM XP Home to the old so you would still be covered by the 2 licenses.

You couldn't leave Pro on the old and put it on the new and run both at one time. Then you would be in violation.

I don't remember the time frame but it usually doesn’t give you a problem re-verifying even with hardware changes as long as it was past that time. Which I don't remember what it was like I said 90days 120days what ever.Thats probably why no question on the discrepencies as you said.

If you try and verifiy another machine within say 2 weeks with different configs then you would throw up the flag to them thinking you were just copying the OS from machine to machine.

Not the best explianation in techinical words(I am not good at that) but I think you can get the point.I am sure others can add to it.

Regards,
TakeBK

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
xp requires activation...but allows for 2 activations per license (i.e. once from the factory and once after the thing breaks and you reformat)...IF you bought the RETAIL version to begin with then there is no hardware tied to the activation if it were an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) version...THEN y ou would have had issues with the hardware....but that would h ave come up during install not during activation..