Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tomb Raider - The Legend

• Please log in to reply

Skittle

Skittle

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
:whistling: I got the long awaited Tomb Raider The Legend today, popped it into the Cd Drive, heard strange noises, clicking and then.......................nothing! Thought it must be a faulty disc, so just to make sure I went and tried it on my old PC, it recognised it straight away!

What do you suggest, I'm not a happy bunny thought I would be runnning and shooting all night.

Advertisements

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Sounds like a dead optical drive. The clicking would be a dead giveaway. Time for a replacement.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Sounds like the drive is having trouble reading the CD.
Try changing the transfer mode of the drive to PIO only mode, if that doesn't work try updating the firmware.

Skittle

Skittle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
:whistling: Errrrrrrrrrr, how do I change the transfer mode of the drive? Or update my firmaware? I also should add that the cd/dvd drive can read other discs, just doesn't like the Tomb Raider one.

Edited by Skittle, 11 April 2006 - 09:18 AM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Firmware updates can be downloaded from the manufacturers website.

Open Device Manager
Double-click IDE ATA//ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.
Right-click the icon for the channel to which your burner is connected and select Properties. Now click the Advanced Settings tab.
In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select "PIO Only." and click ok.

Skittle

Skittle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
:whistling: Updating the Firmware has solved the problem!!! I can now play Lara although I don't know if I'm that impressed with it as yet.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Glad you got it sorted!

Just to let you know there's a patch available for the game, it fixes some stability issues.