Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway M675 Locking @ startup

• Please log in to reply

derekWang

derekWang

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Out of nowhere, i tried to turn on my computer and the screen stayed black as if it didnt even come on. After a few restarts, the screen remained blank. I then took my laptop to my roomates room to troubleshoot it via online tech support, and it somehow booted up completely normally. I then brought it back to my room to set it up again, and it would not boot up ne more. Now it wont boot up to the operating system the screen remains black the entire time. HOWEVER, at random it will start up completely normally and then freeze and begin restarting. F2 or F8 does not bring up bios, unless the computer decides to work. i tried reseating some internal components but still no luck. Is it a hard drive problem? or maybe video? overheating? virus? if someone could help me out that would be great.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd point my finger at either a failing screen or graphix card...enither of which is fun to fix or troubleshoot on a laptop..do you hear any beeps while it's booting up? or the windows login sounds or anything like that? if you do hear the windows sounds then it's just the monitor...otherwise i'd be thinking it would be the video card going out

derekWang

derekWang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No, I haven't heard any beeping sounds while booting up, nor the windows login sound. I am able to boot up the bios screen, but only after leaving the computer turned off for hours, and when I do get the bios to start up, it will freeze after a minute or two.