Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DELL DVD Burn Nightmare

• Please log in to reply

SimonBenny

SimonBenny

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Im pulling my hair out. I just purchased a Dell Dimension 3100 for my Mother. Set it all up for her and everything. She wanted to copy a home DVD using the DVD burner so I showed her what to do except it keeps coming back as DVD dirty or scratched error after uploading the image to the HDD. Don't even get a chance to put in a blank Disk.

Anyway, I took the DVD home and it burns fine on my PC, no problems !! I did manage to burn a data DVD on her new PC, but why wont it burn this particular disk. Its not copy protected or anything like that. The PC is only a few weeks old.

I tried everything including downloading latest firmware, uninstalling DVD in Device Manager. THis is driving me crazy. On top of this Im getting nowhere with DELL helpdesk. Any Ideas

Advertisements

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
What software are you using?

Are you sure that you have the correct Disc to burn to and the correct Drive to burn from?

SimonBenny

SimonBenny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The PC came with Roxio Creator, but I have also tried Nero.

I dont get to putting a blank disk in. The DVD Writer is a NEC3150 and it should be capable of +-RW.

Basically run Roxio, Insert Original Disk in, Run DVD Copy and it goes away saving the data to disk (PC HardDrive), ready to burn onto a blank disk. It gets to 100% copy data and then come back with Dirty/scratched disk error - please check disk and retry.

This is before I can even insert blank disk. Tried the same on my own Pc - no problem

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Sorry I'm new at this and can't help you alot but try this http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html as far as I know you pop the DVD movie in it copys it to a better size then you burn it to a DVD-R or DVD-RW + or - depending on what the DVD movie is.

Your taking this advise at your own risk, as I'm new to helping people over the internet.

If this dosn't work then come back here :whistling:

Edited by callard, 10 April 2006 - 04:07 PM.

SimonBenny

SimonBenny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi the size is fine (ie will fit onto a blank DVD) so unfortunately I don't think that'll do the trick.

If I can get past the DELL Helpdesk I think its going back in the post !! Its given me more heartache than I wanted !!! :whistling: :blink:

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Sorry I can't be of more help it's very hard for me to think whats wrong and then asking you to do it without me giving wrong advise and end up damageing it or something.

Other people here are a million times better at this then I am.

I'm sure you can think how hard it must be to think whats wrong with a PC or it's software without being there.

Again sorry

SimonBenny

SimonBenny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
THIS PROBLEM IS NOW closed - FINALLY GETTING DELL TO SHIP A NEW DVD DRIVE - Thanks