Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Internet Security: installation failed

• Please log in to reply

xpp634

xpp634

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have tried several times to install Norton Internet Security 2005. Each time, the following error message appears: "Norton Internet Security 2005 installation has failed. Do you want to try to install again?".

I already tried the solutions proposed on Symantec website:
1) Verify that the computer is virus free --> the scan didn't detect any viruses
2) Make sure needed Windows services are running --> Task scheduler correctly works
3) Uninstall and reinstall all your Symantec programs

None of these solutions has worked. Could you please advise me on what to do to sort it out?

I use Windows XP, service pack 2.

Cheers,

Julien

Advertisements

jomtones

jomtones

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah I have the same problem ... any help much appreciated. :tazz:

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Hi, i aim this question at both of you...What were you using before this product and any more information, banners/errors you get etc. Thanks

T1runner

T1runner

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i get the same response. I upgraded to 2005 from 2003 last year in october. :tazz:

Edited by T1runner, 12 April 2005 - 12:26 PM.

dwillits

dwillits

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm getting the same error installing on my sister's computer. Formatted hard drive, clean install of Windows 2000 Pro with all updates and service packs.

Insteresting that I don't get the error on my office pc (win2k) or at home (winXP). The only difference I can come up with is the pc with the problem is using NTFS. :tazz:

katiegirlhorse

katiegirlhorse

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I get it too, i used to have Dell XPS T450. Then upgraded to new computer w/ same hard drive and CD-drives :help:

Eklipse219

Eklipse219

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I get the same thing...when it says installation failed, would you like to try again?...and I press "retry" it pops same message; if i click "cancel" it goes to uninstall, then gets stuck on "installinitialize", whereupon it then pops up a message stating "Norton ....blah...uninstall has failed...would you like to try again?"...if I click retry, same thing happens...

i have tried all the solutions on their website, not one has worked
I have actually gone through my registry and deleted all symantec entries (i think), gone through all my files and deleted all symantec stuff there too, and retried this installation a few times...

It still doesn't work...
could anyone help? It says that they're gathering info on this problem, but the link to their LogTool doesn't work either...

btw i am using NTFS on a RAID 0 config for 2 SATA drives, dunno if that makes a difference

Edited by Eklipse219, 19 April 2005 - 09:31 PM.

dwillits

dwillits

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, Windows Update happened to have an update for Windows Installer 3.1. After the install I was able to get Norton to install without a problem. Then, I took the pc back to my sister's and they can't get it to activate. I've just about had it... :tazz:

stpaul216

stpaul216

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys, the fix is easy. I had the same problem, so I just made sure that I had the "live update" software uninstalled, (which does not automatically uninstall when you uninstall norton antivirus) and then you need to go to your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec. Just delete that whole registry directory and you are good to go. Also, it helps if you actually burn NIS2005 to a disc to install it rather that installing from a virtual drive.

Eklipse219

Eklipse219

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
yeah, i deleted the registry keys for that and all the other ones too...
still gave me same problem. However, i noticed that if i held down Enter while it popped up the "retry or cancel" message, the progress bar would move slowly towards the end...it still wouldn't install, but when i hit cancel, it would start uninstalling everything...which is further than it has gotten so far. Oh, also, this version comes off of an MSI disk that came with my Geforce 6600Gt...dunno if that's the problem tho

Advertisements

Meldrew

Meldrew

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok

I have had the same problem with an XP Home Machine (same error messages) and almost gave up on it.

However I got hold of the Removal tool (SymNRT.exe) for the 2004/2005 editions of Norton from Symantec's site and it has installed absolutely fine now.

I am convinced that this has definitely cured the problem

Here is the link to the page

http://service1.syma...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

I hope it will help you

Best Regards

Meldrew

T1runner

T1runner

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz:
Dude You rock. Thanks so much for the advice. It worked obviously. Everyone who has a problem with NIS then should try the removal tool

jomtones

jomtones

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Glad you got it sorted... personally I gave up on this nasty bloatware and my machine seems to be about twice as fast now....

Installed Sygate Firewall and Avast AV, both FREE! Both seem to be doing well, and Avast found virus's that Norton missed.

Cheers

Bill.

Eklipse219

Eklipse219

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
thanks a lot for the Symantec link...everything works fine now :tazz:

Lamron333

Lamron333

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just want someone to be the smart guy & post the NIS 2005 reg keys "ALL OF THEM INCLUDING TIMESTAMPS" so I can Delete them & start Fresh. & it does not work by simply deleting the HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/Symantec/ or w/e its still has some registration key left tell me that its a re-install instead of a FRESH install.
post the NIS 2005 reg keys "ALL OF THEM INCLUDING TIMESTAMPS"
post the NIS 2005 reg keys "ALL OF THEM INCLUDING TIMESTAMPS"
post the NIS 2005 reg keys "ALL OF THEM INCLUDING TIMESTAMPS" :tazz: :) :)