Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7 / IE6 Problems

• Please log in to reply

PhalanX

PhalanX

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Greetings from Australia...

A few days ago I installed IE7 Beta on my laptop, I obviously wasn't thinking properly at the time (probably fuelled by these 2am+ times I'm going to bed lately :whistling:) and I thought it would install separately to ie 6 but of course it overwrote it and I realised this and immediately uninstalled it, because I need ie 6 for a project I am currently working on...

Then when I restarted internet explorer was completely rooted, it wouldn't work at all, I just kept getting blank screens and an error because it couldn't find ieframe.dll (a ie 7 dll)... After about 3 hours of messing around I eventually got ie 6 to work again... But its a little funny, If I go to tools -> internet options, for example, I get the "cannot show this dialogue due to restrictions in effect on this comptuer" which there aren't any... but I don't care about that, the real problem I have is the same one described here: http://www.geekstogo...pic=105971&st=0, ANY popup window, be it javascript induced, or from msn messenger or even a target="_blank" doesn't load, and occasionally it flashes for a split second then disappears. This is really bad because it is crucial that I have popup windows and ie 6 for the project I am currently working on...

to make it worse I can't afford to reinstall windows because I have software installed on there that I don't have the cds since they were installed while I was on the other side of the country (at the company I work for over there) and I'm not going back over any time soon...

I have tried the sfc /scanow multiple times, as well as the ie.inf thing

I just tried installing windows script 5.6 but it wouldn't install because it "this older version of the browser isn't supported"... I have ie 6.0029

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rob

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Have you tried downloading and re-installing IE6? M$ has it at
http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

PhalanX

PhalanX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes actually, part of the 3 hours fixing it was spend figuring out how to install that file, because it wouldn't let me install since it detected I had a newer version... But when that was installed I had the same popup problem...

Killi

Killi

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Have you got rid of IE7 Beta yet? Gettting rid of it completely might help :whistling:

PhalanX

PhalanX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah it is completely removed, although i have a feeling a few elements of it are left which might be causing the problems...

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
How did you remove IE7, did you use a program to do it or did you use Add/Remove.

Killi

Killi

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I did it by going add/remove, and obviously the IE7 BETA isnt there, so you have to check the "Show Updates" tab, then IE7 BETA will be there in the list to remove.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Well this should have uninstalled it fully, becuase I had IE7 beta and it uninstalled it fine.
This may sound wierd, but re-install IE7 and then try removing it again.

Edited by CJIS, 14 April 2006 - 03:31 AM.

PhalanX

PhalanX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah I removed it from add / remove... I did actually try installing it again and uninstalling it, but I will give it another shot... the only problem I think will be, if i do that it will restore the old files i.e. the browser as it is now, which obviously has some problems... but i will give that a shot now and see what happens...

PhalanX

PhalanX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It didn't work out for me, when ie7 is installed the popups work fine, when it is uninstalled again, the popups don't work and the standalone version of ie7 i have doesnt have the popups working either, it has a jscript error when i click on them and i cant click on the error message to get the window telling me exactly what the error is ecause it wont come up...

What I am going to do, because I cant afford to waste more time on this, is I will install ie7 and put up with it and use a standalone ie6 to test out my websites, i am annoyed i have to do this because i would prefr ie 6 for development but i guess i dont have a choice...

grr

if you have any more ideas feel free to send them through, but if not then thanks for your help anyway :whistling: