Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Looking to play some games on my not so good computer

• Please log in to reply

EvRonMcNasty

EvRonMcNasty

• Pip
  • 9 posts
well i really want to put counterstrike source and halflife 2 on my computer but its not the best, its a dell dimension 4550 if that helps. should my computer be able to handle these games? i have limewire and someone told me they take up rediculous space and everything would run better if u didnt have it, i have about 800 files on it (including long movies as well) and he said to get rid of it. If my computer cant handle it will my parents dimension 4700 be able to handle them?? also is there a very cheap computer that can handle these games?? thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Your biggest issue is that you have an integrated video card if this is the default setup, based on the intel extreme 2 chip.

This video chip will behave badly with most modern games.

You do have an agp slot, though, so you could upgrade that and still have a failry functional computer there.

Next up, how much RAM did they put in here. The default was 256 (too little) but at times Dell was tossing in an extras 256 for a total of 512mb (OK)

Finally, it's not limewire that takes up the space, its all the crap you download with it.

And at the risk of sounding like a worried old aunt (or a lawyer), you are putting yourself at serious risk downloading things with limewire as the p2p netowrks it uses are regularly patrolled by the record and move companies looking for copyrighted material and ip address.

Once they have your ip address. it's a simple enough matter to file a court order with Comcast who will then say, "Oh yes, Ron McNasty had that IP Address at that time...here's his home address, Go sue him."

EvRonMcNasty

EvRonMcNasty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
lol ya i have to much stuff on it so im thinking of getting rid of it all together... my computer is all stock and im thinking it would take a crap load of cash and parts to make it better. but how about my parents dimension 4700? they dont even use it and its very fast. if i cant ever play countersstrike source than maybe ill settle with sounterstrike 1.6, if u know anything about counterstrike 1.6 will this run on my computer?

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Well since Dell's Support site Sucks the big one Rizz, without a service code.I can assume that the 4700 has built in on board video also which most store bought computer have .You would be in the same boat.

To play and Play right expect a $300-$400+ bill for a "great" vid card and some more RAM.

Yes you can get away with $200-$300 but thats just what it is you get what you pay for and in the times that thing change faster you want to get the jump the first time and NOT do it twice.......

Side note if you buy something like a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Expect to get a bigger Power Supply because they recommend a MINIMUM of 350Watts.Don't know what Dell puts in but most Stocks are 200-275

I got sucked into the craz with the Novalogic's online FPS BHD and Joint OP's had a Stock HP714 $800 and now that I got the VID card ,4GIG RAM ,CPU cooler ,Case,bigger PSU,4 Fans Total is around $2,400 :whistling: Glad the Wife understands

You don't have to go that crazy, but VID and RAM a must....

Thats just my opinion

TakeBK

EvRonMcNasty

EvRonMcNasty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
do u think ill be able to play cs 1.6? also just as a side note i downloaded steam and im downloading the half life 2 demo cause its free, im just curious to see if it even works. it came with a free 2d game called codename gordon and it runs perfectly, just a crappy game though.

EvRonMcNasty

EvRonMcNasty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i just played the half life 2 demo and to my suprise it ran fine at lower settings.