Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Filing Sharing Problem

• Please log in to reply

kEiGo

kEiGo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently I bought an external hard drive with USB 2.0 Connection. It's 300GB size. I formatted the hard drive and set it as NTFS format, so I'll be able to share this hard drive with other computer on my network. But problem occurs, I chosed to share this hard drive and go into my workgroup to see if I(host) can access the drive first, then I'll go set up other computers(clients) as well.

When I access the hard drive, a message popped up and said "\\Computername\\I is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Not enough server storage is available to process this command or Network path not found" But the odd thing is when I share my IDE hard drive. Either I(host) and other computers(clients) are able the access it without any problem at all. I just have no idea to fix this problem.

I am using a router to connect all the computers and sharing the internet connection. I can transfer files easily with Ftp and msn. Now, with a share hard drive, I can easily share files w/o transfering back and forth. But the darn hard drive just won't let me(host) and other computers(clients) access. Can anyone help me? or did anyone occured the same problem and fixed it?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi kEiGo,

Please follow the advice listed in this MS Article: Antivirus software may cause Event ID 2011 -- if this does not resolve your problem, then please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

Thanks,
Dan.

kEiGo

kEiGo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I just bought this hard drive like 3 days ago, so if there are any system error message, it should be only recent like within a week or so, but the lastest error message I have inside that window. It's 1 year ago. So I don't think there are any related message regarding my hard drive

kEiGo

kEiGo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Actually I just found out what my problem was. I forgot to check my firewall, the setting was blocking the access of the hard drive. Sorry for causing all the trouble. Thank you for you time and help :whistling: