Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows media player

• Please log in to reply

sara

sara

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi i was wondering can anyone help

im havin trouble with my windows media player 10 it is fine when i play music files but when i try and play a video file it freezes all my pc up and it takes ages to shut the media player off

i have tried goin back to player 9 i have installed real player ans also power dvd and the video files still wont play the still continue to freeze up my pc :whistling:

everything seemed to be fine untill i upgraded my graphics card from a ge-force 2 to a ge force 6600 GT do u think it could have something to do with this

any advice would be good as i am stuck for things to do

thankyou sara

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there sara.

I might have an idea why this has happend when you changed graphics cards, the graphics drivers.

Please go here to download the latest video drivers for your graphic card.
http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp

Also I recommend you install Video Codecs for you computer.
http://www.free-code..._Codec_Pack.htm

This will play most new video clips, that cant usually be played without codecs.

Let me know if these helped you out.

Cool :whistling:

sara

sara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi thanks for your help i have installed the Video Codecs for my pc and this seems to have stopped the media player from freezing up yet it still wont play the vid files so i went to get the lastest drivers
but i just want to make sure i am getting the right ones i have highlighted the options in blue i think this is what i need can someone plz give me the green light so i can carry on lol thanks

graphics.JPG

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Yip sara, that looks about right. Those are the drivers you looking for.

sara

sara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi spike_hacker_inc

thanks hun :whistling: ive installed the graphics drivers and everything is working as it should be :blink:

sara

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Thanks for letting us know sara, I am glad that your problem has now been fixed.

Killi

Killi

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have another problem with WMP, whenever trying to play files from the internet it brings up WMP but does not seem to do anyhting, pressing play does nothing as it seems as though it doesnt even load the file i want to play, everyhting offline works fine.

Thanks
Killi :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What browser are you using, have you tried reinstalling WMP, sometimes it can be an association problem a reinstall can fix it sometimes.

Killi

Killi

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Sorry this was a silly mistake on my behalf which i stupidly overlooked :help:

The IE7 Beta which i have been using for a while now, it is rubbish :blink:

Anyway, i have been trying to look for ways to get rid of it, but couldnt :) in the end all i had to do was click on the "show add ons" check box on the top of Add/Remove Programs and it showed IE7 Beta, as well as many other add ons in the list

I simply removed it, got IE6 back after the restart and now my WMP problem is fixed

Lets see if the other problems are fixed too :)

Thanks
Killi :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You might think of switching to Firefox its a much better safer browser than IE.