Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heatsink Thermal Compound

• Please log in to reply

millertime214

millertime214

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I just got some Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease to put on my AMD Athlon 64 4000+ cpu. I was wondering what is the best way to remove the old thermal pad from the heatsink & cpu chip? I obviously don't want to damage my hardware so I was hoping someone would know of a good way to remove the stuff without damaging anything. Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Yeah you need to clean it using alcohol or acetone(DO NOT LET IT TOUCH THE PCB WHATEVER YOU DO) and then dry and reapply new thermal compound, arctic silver 5 if you dont have any at hand and have to get stuff.

What is pcb?

Its the stuff they make the boards out of you know the plasticy stuff everything is soldered onto, mind you they arent using it on new stuff anymore its not very environmentally freindly but it reacts with acetone.

Sounds easy enough

Its a good idea to always have extra thermal paste around. Id get another just in case you needed some again.

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
That will work. Thanks for all your help. And thanks to the people who posted but were not able to be here today...lol.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
We are here just not on 24/7 even the best of us need sleep. Yeah the above is accurate, cotton wool or i like cotton buds are the only other thing you need although you could use a cloth as well.

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I just meant that I was thanking the people (you, for example) that originally posted that info. FuM put it all together, but I was thanking everyone who was involved even though you guys didn't have the chance to post in this topic.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Twas merely jesting lol.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Twas merely the search feature

FuM