Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How long can i keep my comp on?

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
I've no idea how long a comp can be on so it doesnt reduce its lifespan. U see, my casing(top casing only.The rest are c00l) is always hot as h*** whenever i touch it. So im pretty worried how fast it'll die on me.

Does my motherboard matters? im using matsonic's and theres a fan in there, a small tiny looking fun, blowing like an old granny, slow as h***.

If there are other infos which i have to provide to determine how long i can have my poor comp on for days or even weeks, let me know, i'll try to provide info on my build.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I've no idea how long a comp can be on so it doesnt reduce its lifespan.

I'll comment on this later.

U see, my casing(top casing only.The rest are c00l) is always hot as h*** whenever i touch it. So im pretty worried how fast it'll die on me

Right now I would be concerned about this, if you mean the top of the case that is where the psu is located and it could be overheating.

how long have you had this computer up and running and has it given you any problems?

Please list you full system specs and how many case fans.

Are you monitoring your temps?

Rick

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Hmm, no, i've not been monitoring my temps.. is there a way i can do that? with a physical thermometer?

I've got one fan on my grahpic card, and another on top of my motherboard. From wad i understand, that means that i have no fan at all.

Regarding the specs of my comp, is there a program i can download? I dunno much but heres wad i know

512 +256 kingston ram
Matsonic mother board
geforce 2
AMD 1.2k

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You can use this program Everest

It will give you system specs and you can monitor temps,

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2, v.2055
DirectX 4.09.00.0902 (DirectX 9.0b)
User Name User X

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1200 MHz (12 x 100)
Motherboard Name Matsonic MS8158D/E (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
System Memory 768 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (05/24/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation) (64 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Monitor Philips 107E4 [17" CRT] (BZ 264103)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST317221A (16 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/66)
Disk Drive ST340810A (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8523B (52x CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 38154 MB (30400 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 16433 MB (5764 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter (192.168.2.102)

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

let me know if u need other infos. Btw, that program allows me to take the temperature? i cant seem to find it anywhere, sorry n00b at this...

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
nvm, i found it...

Sensor Properties:
Tsystem 38 °C (100 °F)
Tcpu 106 °C (223 °F)
Taux 61 °C (142 °F)
Fcpu 5444 RPM
Vcore 1.79 V
V2.5 2.51 V
Vio 3.23 V

This is the one ya? How does it look =/

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your cpu temp is very high at 106c it should be around 42c at idle like if Everest was the only program running.

You should not run it till this is corrected the cause of this is poor contact between the cpu and heat sink, Everest reports your cpu fan is running so thats ok.

Take off the hs and clean the hs and cpu with isopropolyn alchol. Then apply new thermal paste and reinstall making sure the hs is installed in the right direction, the stepped portion of the hs should face the part of the cpu socket that says 462.

Go here and click on Socket A AMD Processor and Heatsink Installation Guide to download a installation guide.

You also need more case fans, a 80mm in the rear of the case blowing out and a 80mm in the front of the case blowing in.

Where did you get your computer or did you build it?

Rick

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Your cpu temp is very high at 106c it should be around 42c at idle like if Everest was the only program running.

You should not run it till this is corrected the cause of this is poor contact between the cpu and heat sink, Everest reports your cpu fan is running so thats ok.

Take off the hs and clean the hs and cpu with isopropolyn alchol. Then apply new thermal paste and reinstall making sure the hs is installed in the right direction, the stepped portion of the hs should face the part of the cpu socket that says 462.

Go here and click on Socket A AMD Processor and Heatsink Installation Guide to download a installation guide.

You also need more case fans, a 80mm in the rear of the case blowing out and a 80mm in the front of the case blowing in.

Where did you get your computer or did you build it?

Rick

View Post

Ghez, thats bad. I know nothing about these at all. I bought this comp off a technician of mine, well hes a cheat and fleed to china now. Anyhow, does that mean i shouldnt turn on my comp for more than a day now?

You also need more case fans, a 80mm in the rear of the case blowing out and a 80mm in the front of the case blowing in. <-- ok so i'll just have to go down any shop and just let them know i need a 2xs 80 mm case fan? Any other things i've to mention? Also how should they be installed on my cpu? I dont see any holes on my casings.

Regarding the reinstallation of HS, it seems complicated. I think i shouldnt mess with it since im not good at this. Is my HS working very badly?

Your cpu temp is very high at 106c it should be around 42c at idle like if Everest was the only program running. <-- btw thats taken when my cpu usage is at 100%. Im running 2xs diablo clients.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
btw, heres another temperature section i found.

Temperatures:
Motherboard 35 °C (95 °F)
CPU 103 °C (217 °F)
Aux 64 °C (147 °F)
Seagate ST340810A 46 °C (115 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 5273 RPM

hmm, guess they are the same =/

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

btw thats taken when my cpu usage is at 100%. Im running 2xs diablo clients.

That explains the high temps but they are still to high.

Yes hs installation is complicated, doing anything inside a computer can be so don't open the case seeing as you are not good at this.

With what you explained especially the top of the case being so hot and running the cpu at 100% for extended periods I would take it to your shop and have them take a good look, explain to them what you have to me.

I would do this as soon as possible and avoid running the machine untill it is checked

Sorry but this is the best advice I can give you and remain cautious with your computer.

Rick

Advertisements

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
oic, ok.. thx

quick last question tho, i heard it is better to have my comp on for 24/7/365 , for any comp infact since the cooldown/heatup of the parts would shorten its lifespan, is it true?

Provided i can lower the temperature, how long can i keep this on for consecutively?

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
btw heres a ss of my temp when my comp isnt having 2xs diablo clients on and just everest, IE and msn working

http://www.geocities...e_2003/temp.JPG[/IMG]

Do u have any conclusion to draw on this?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well that is true or one school of thought but by doing so you wear out some other parts such as cooling fans but I would not worry about that to much.

Personally I shut mine down if I am not going to use it for 10 hours or so but if I am using it then I leave it run indefenitlly.

If it is a windows machine I would restart it ever couple of days because some programs can leak memory and lose system resourses so a quick refresh helps.

I would also only leave it run if you have a UPC (uninteruptable power supply)
Leaving a machine run 24/7 leaves it more suceptible to lightning and power outages witch a upc will keep it and your data safe.

Rick

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ya, i've no worries about lightning strucks etc since im living in singapore. Never happened before.

Guess u missed the latest post i made regarding the temp =)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

btw heres a ss of my temp when my comp isnt having 2xs diablo clients on and just everest, IE and msn working

Your cpu temp is much better and in the normal range, it could be that you need to have it cleaned, the HS that is, again with limited experiance have the shop take a look.

ya, i've no worries about lightning strucks etc since im living in singapore. Never happened before.

What about power outages?

I am also just makeing recommendations for others reading, some of these things may not apply to your area.

Rick