Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing tasktray icons on windows startup

• Please log in to reply

jazzman12345

jazzman12345

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have been having this recurring problem for a while now. It seems that when I start my computer, at random each time I start my computer, the icons on the tasktray choose to show up. For example I would start one time and only my antivirus, audio icon, and wireless intel proset icon shows up. So then I restart my computer and then all of a sudden those three icons show up but also my battery icon, and my plug & play icon comes on. I have searched on google and it says that its a bug from Windows XP that hasn't really been solved. Does anybody here have any suggestions? I had the "systray.exe" in my startup folder which works sometimes but still not as well. Any help would be appreciated! Tanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check for this arrow in the taskbar

[attachment=7815:attachment]

If you have this, right click the taskbar, click properties, click customize, you should have choices of hide when inactive, always hide, always show, whichever is showing, click it, you then get a drop down arrow, click that and set it as required for each programme, click apply

jazzman12345

jazzman12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I tried to set all the icons on always show, but it still shows up on random startups. Any other suggestions?