Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Buying A Server Box Or Buidling.. Help Needed

• Please log in to reply

Pwnage

Pwnage

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok im not sure what it takes to build a server box. But i want a estimated price if i wanted to run one and what i would need to run one without having lag. Because i want to use it to run my game servers on. And please dont say buy a 2nd computer. Because i was interested to see if i could run my friends servers and what i would need to run someone elses server.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The main thing about building a server is that it has lots of memory and should be a pretty fast system. Think of it as like a 1000 people are trying to access your computer every minute. That takes some power to keep everything running smoothly. You also might need a T-1 or T-3 connection Heres a advertisement that has normal prices for such.

http://www.t1shopper.com/

A T-1 line has a speed of 1.54 MBps, while a T-3 line has 44.756MBps with a fiber-optic line. These speeds are for both incoming and outgoing packets.

According to microsoft a T-1 line can support 100-500 users simultaneous.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, servers you need something pretty hefty with a very good net connection(a common error, alot of people expect to run it on there standard DSL).

In terms of hardware involved you propably are looking along the lines of a decent opteron CPU with 2-4 gigs of ram ideally for a big game server for really new games. The best servers i played on when i was into CSS were dual opteron rigs but the new opterons are dual core so you dont need that quite so much.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
opteron or dual core opteron would be fine and the intel dual xeons are fast also. I have rented many gaming servers and they were all xeons and they are really fast and smooth.

For what you need it depends on your price tag.

I have 10mbps internet at home now and I wanted to buy a dual core opteron 160 with 2gb of ram to run gaming servers from the house but im holding off for alittle bit. I can run 16 people perfectly with a full 1mbps upload. I usually run 16 real people and 3 bots. 18-20 people total because the upload is stopping more people from joining. I run it perfectly on my pentium 4 3.0e prescott with 1.5gb of ram.

All of the rental server companies use the raptor harddrives for the servers. I know that some people will say that the 7200rpm drives out now can stay up with the raptor 10,000 rpm drives but the server companies still like the 10,000 rpm raptors better.

I have a 10,000 rpm raptor in my pc.

About the memory you will need. It depends how many people you are wanting to host on the pc. Remember you cannot hold many people on a server with regular cable or dsl with crappy upload. Many people think that there 3mbps/256Kbps line can host 16-20 people when they start out hosting but it cannot happen. Each game is different on hosting requirements on upload but you need atleast 768Kbps upload for a decent server. 512Kbps upload is okay but you will have to lower the clients down. :whistling: