Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows startup, desktop

• Please log in to reply

Demetri

Demetri

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi, I hope you can help me. I have norton systemworks 2006. all my updates are current. I am using windows xp pro. I can only boot in safe mode. Because when I do a normal boot it starts to load up then it just restarts all by itself after a minute. What could cause this problem. My software is legit. :blink: :help: :whistling:

Advertisements

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
its me I have come to find out that I could not find a boot.ini file to look at. How could I create and where do I save it. I did a search and looked for it including system and hidden files.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Demetri...

The boot.ini is a "super hidden" file. Don't change it unless you know what you're doing.

Open Control Panel and double click the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in "Startup and Recovery", click the "Settings" button. Click on the "Edit" button.

wannabe1

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I already checked it out, it is fine. so what could it be.

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
already checked it out, it is fine. so what could it be

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A reboot loop can be caused by any number of things. Missing or corrupt drivers, corrupt system files, hardware conflicts...etc. It can sometimes be a tough one to sort out.

Do you have a retail version installation cd? Or an OEM version?

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I have the original software.(retail or OEM) I dont know the difference but it does say windows xp professional on top of it in like a copper color and when you turn it under the light you can see the microsoft hologram. hope this helps.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Perfect...you've described the retail version. That's what I was hoping for. :whistling:

Try the following first:

REPAIR your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can.

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
wannabe, it does not give me the option to repair it. can i do a fresh install and save all my setting and programs if possible or should I just put everything on dvd if possible.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Really? Is this a branded machine such as Dell or HP?

Do you receive the following options when you boot to the CD?
  • To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
  • To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
  • To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
If not, what options are you presented with?

Advertisements

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
wannabe, you are correct on the above.and no it is not a hp or dell. I custom built it with exception to new motherboard being installed by a company

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Demetri...

If you look carefully at the guide I linked you to, in the initial window, under "Welcome to Setup", you will press "Enter"...just as though you were going to do a fresh install.

In the next window, you will press F8 to accept the EULA.

In the third, you will select your operating system (it will probably already be selected) and then...this is the biggie...You will press the R key.

from there, just follow the prompts. It will look like it's doing a fresh install, but in reality, it is repairing the system.

Let me know how you fare.

wannabe1

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
wannabe,

It does not offer the third selection in the window. All it offers to install on the selected partion,delete, or do a new install.what in the world is going on here I am so upset.I ran nav in safe mode, tried system restore worked for a little while. I removed the following viruses hacktool and bloodhound.overpacked.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I guess I'm missing something here...I've run this repair many, many times and have never run across an XP Pro retail cd that wouldn't run the repair... :whistling:

Which screen 1st or 3rd? Each screen contains two options and a chance to quit...where am I getting lost?????

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
the third screen