Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows startup, desktop

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this the screen you see?

Posted Image

Advertisements

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
nope, I see the one that shows my drives , size and partitions at the bottom

Edited by Demetri, 11 April 2006 - 10:16 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What is the name at the top of the screen?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
[quote]If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.[/quote]
From the Guide... :whistling:

This is what is happening...sorry, it took a minute to dawn on me just what was going on. I'm so used to this procedure working that I forgot that a serious corruption will force a fresh install.

However, this can also be a software or hardware issue...let's try a Selective Startup and see if we can get into Normal Mode.

Cancel out of the repair, remove the cd, and boot into Safe Mode. Click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and click "Ok". Under the "General" tab, tick the box next to "Selective Startup", and untick the box next to "Load startup items". Click "Apply" and "Ok"...reboot.

Does it boot to Normal Mode?

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
yes, it sure does. so do you think I should uninstall everything that loads at startup even nav2006 and reinstall it? only nav I will reinstall

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Naw...let's do it with the configuration utility...it'll be a lot faster.

Use msconfig again. Under the "General" tab, put the check back in "Normal Startup". Then click on the "Startup" tab. Start at the bottom of the list and deselect the last 5 checkboxes. Apply the change and reboot...does it go into Normal Mode?

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
no it did not work, by unchecking the last five. If it helps any I also have sp2 installed.anyway If i start up normal we are back to square one.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In a way, yes. Boot into Safe Mode, back into msconfig, recheck the last 5 in the list, and deselect the 5 above them, and reboot. Does it boot normally?

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
yes but it starts up only one of the programs that normally starts up as usual. should I try it by checking each one 1 at a time until i see wich program is causing the problem and uninstall it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Exactly! :whistling:

Lots faster than uninstalling and reinstalling, isn't it?

Advertisements

Demetri

Demetri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Wannabe,

thank you very much for your exceptional help. I am currently running the office 12 beta and having trouble with my outlook it always wants to start in safe mode. should I just uninstall it and reinstall office 2003, and if I still have a problem with outlook. May I contact you for your outstanding help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's the way I would do it. It's probably a "beta bug" that bit you.... :whistling:

Go back to the 2003 and if reinstalling it doesn't fix the Outlook problem...I will be very surprised.

As a side note, there is a better e-mail client available. I've used it exclusively in place of Outlook for a long time without any issues at all. Thunderbird.

Please do come back if you have problems...we do this because we love it!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 April 2006 - 11:51 PM.