Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it possible to make a web site ?

• Please log in to reply

computer

computer

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello every one,

Is it possible to make a web site without knowing anything about it ?
I am interested in it but don't know how to make it

Can anybody suggest few important sites and tools to make it possible ?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
Some knowledge is helpful when creating a web page.
A simple page can easily be created using a tool such as Front Page.
There always comes a time, however, when the code generated by such
a tool must be modified manually. A minimal background with html is
necessary at that point.

Suggestion:
Look at the html tutorial on the Web Design & Web Hosting forum(on this site).
Do a search on the net for other html tutorials.
Do search on the net for Front Page tutorials.
You will have to select tutorials that reflect your level of expertise.
Invest some of your time reading the tutorials. Have fun!

pinksugarprincess

pinksugarprincess

• Pip
  • 8 posts
you can also sign up to various sites which offer free accounts where you just answer a whole bunch of questions and they do the coding for you!

it's a good way to start, so you might try geocities (yahoo) and tripod/lycos, which I believe have What You See Is What You Get type programs imbedded into their free accounts!

other than that, I learnt by going to my favourite webpage, clicking View>>source, and playing around with the text file that opens: the html coding is in that file. You can save it as an html file on your computer by just choosing a name and putting .html after it (change the box at the bottom from TXT file to 'show all files')

Then you can delete bits of the code, save and see what happens when you refresh the page!

And, yeah, tutorials are always a good idea! :tazz:

good luck!

jatro

jatro

• Pip
  • 6 posts
One place that I use for great free tutorials with interactive examples is w3schools.com. Used with other tutorials, one can learn plenty to get started.
HTH

computer

computer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
THANKYOU VERY MUCH TO ALL OF YOU

Shay

Shay

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I believe freewebs.com will help you set up a site that way too. I've used them several times in the past but I build my own sites with dreamweaver. I am pretty sure you can do the 'answer questions and let them do it for you' program too tho.

Kristy

Kristy

Visiting Consultant

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
I have found that this site is very helpful --> http://Dave's HTML Code Guidewww.davesite.com/webstation/html/ If you scroll down for a little bit you will see Basic Tutorial MiniChapters , looking through those, and reading them should help.

Kristy

Kristy

Visiting Consultant

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
I messed up a little bit putting that link on there. Just click on where it says Dave's HTML Code Guide, and that will bring you to the site.

computer

computer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thankyou very much friends

I am glad to see that all of you are still helping me by putting your valuable comments.

once again thanks

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You might also try using a WYSIWYG Editor like NVU. No coding involved unless you want to do it that way. It will also publish your files unless you use something like geocities.com or bravenet.com hosting for free. Then you have to use their respective File Manager and Uploader service.

If you want to learn HTML for free, then check out :

1) HTML Code Tutorial Site
2) Web Design (Can sign up for free email courses)

There's a LOT more out there. Plenty of free stuff. Just ask. :tazz: LOL

Ron

Advertisements

Eric Melech

Eric Melech

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I recommend you buy this book:

http://www.cookwood.com/html5ed/

It may be a little outdated (published in 2003), but it's great for beginners AND helped me solidify my HTML prowess! And no, they aren't paying me to advertise :tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Some basic HTML knowledge is useful, but anyone can create a website using a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) HTML editor. There are a wide variety of free and commercial applications from FrontPage and Dreamweaver to TSW, Nvu, and BlueFish.

Also, depending on what you want to put on your site, you might look for a host that offers Fantastico. It's a script that installs many popular applications like photo albums, forums, blogs, portals and e-commerce with just a couple clicks. A complete list of available scripts can be found here: http://www.netenberg...ico_scripts.php

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Also, depending on what you want to put on your site, you might look for a host that offers Fantastico. It's a script that installs many popular applications like photo albums, forums, blogs, portals and e-commerce with just a couple clicks. A complete list of available scripts can be found here: http://www.netenberg...ico_scripts.php

View Post

Now how did I miss this one out of probably 10 million plus on the Internet? :tazz:

Thanks. Gonna check this one out as it sounds great. I use Matrix Y2K Website Studio 2005 and NVU. Tried FontPage, but my main Web host started having problems with the extensions.

Ron

Cherchezlafemme

Cherchezlafemme

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I moderate a pretty neat HTML site, a bit kiddish but it does the job well. It's http://lissaexplains.com and there's a forum if you need further help.

When I started HTML I was introduced to FrontPage as well, but what's the fun in that? I really think going to understandable and popular html sites is the way to go. Eventually you'll become such a whiz at it you can start doing PHP, C#, C++, etc...

sysera

sysera

• Pip
  • 7 posts
You should also check out www.htmlgoodies.com. I used to use that site all the time as a reference, it's pretty good. :tazz: