Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AntiVir Guard deactivates for no known reason

• Please log in to reply

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
This problem has been happening for quite some time. It does, though, only happen intermittently (sometimes once a day, sometimes once every few days). First the mouse becomes very, very slow and is quite eratic. Then the umbrella denoting the AntiVir Guard being active in the Taskbar closes down. When I try to reactivate AntiVir Guard the selection enabling it is greyed out and cannot be selected. The only way I have been able to restart the Guard is to restart the computer. There does not seem to be any specific action which brings this about - in fact in some cases the computer has been idle for a while and it has happened. On other occasions net surfing, wordprocessing, music playing!! :whistling: Any ideas, suggestions?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Frantique, since this is both stoping and then blocking the rerunning of the Antivirus here, I thnk you comp is haunted and needs the malware readers to take a look.

Edited by fleamailman, 11 April 2006 - 02:03 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
uninstall antivir completely (add remove control panel, then delete the program file folder) then reinstall

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Thank you flea and gerry for replying. I'll try the uninstall/reinstall and see what happens. As it was happening intermittently I'll have to wait a few days to see if it happens again and will post after I've tested it for long enough. Thanks again and I'll get back to you! :whistling:

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
It just happened again and I had uninstalled and reinstalled AntiVir yesterday. My daughter was on the computer when it just happened using MSN which also hung. Don't know which came first though. She said she lost net connection (we have ADSL which only renews IP address for 1 minute at a time and sometimes times out when not being used constantly and has to renew ... sometimes I have to help it along by 'repairing' the connection!). Anyway the guard was closed and I was unable to reactivate it and so restarted the computer and all came back OK! So reinstalling hasn't fixed the problem. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated? Thank you.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks fantique, this give me a chance to try my canned on you:

Welcome to g2g and the world of malware removal then, your computer is infected. Please follow all the steps mentioned in the link below then
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Hey flea, thank you for your help. :whistling:
Have been a bit snowed under with family for past few days. Am currently doing all the scans and will post in Malware when I get to the HJT. So far the scans are only showing up 1 dialler. So we'll just wait n see how the rest go.
Hey, what happened to 'pencil man'? Thought he was cute! :blink:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Zebedee, was hard to fit into an avatar, also thiis photo from ones own comp is not as easy to ifind as one might think, time yourself from the moment you finish reading this to find it then. :-) but reply in offtopics as I am on duty here.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
I have posted in Malware regarding this topic. Thank you to Gerry & Flea who have helped here! :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fwiw, I don't see anything that would cause this other than, perhaps, zonealarm, which does some very odd things at odd times. (and please go to other thread on openoffice)

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Thank you Gerry. I don't know of anything else to try. I guess it could be Zone Alarm as you have said. Perhaps I do not have the program permissions correctly in place. I must admit I have been at a bit of a loss in understanding what should have permission as a server and what is trusted etc. Would it be possible for me to post (as an attachment) what I have presently set up and for you to review it and give me some assistance in setting it? Then perhaps this will solve my problem.