Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply

L0sT4nDc0nFus3d

L0sT4nDc0nFus3d

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I am having a problem with my internet access on one of my computers that is running windows xp sp2. When I turn it on, a little bubble comes up that says this network connection has limited or no connectivity. I tried manually configuring to an IP address, which then gets rid of the bubble, but I still cannot connect to the internet or my network.
I have broadband cable internet witha motorola modem, a d-link di-604 broadband router with dhcp enabled. The other two computers have no problem connecting, and they have windows xp sp2 with dhcp enabled. The problem computer also has dhcp enabled. When I tried to use the repair function in the network connections window, but it says that the network failed to supply an IP address.
I f anyone has even the slightest idea what my problem is I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

Advertisements

L0sT4nDc0nFus3d

L0sT4nDc0nFus3d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a better description of my problem now,
I have a Compaq Presario 6130c Internet PC with the following specs. :

Microsoft Windows XP SP2
Intel P4 2.8 GHz
512 MB RAM
(1) 60 GB Hardrive
(1) 30 GB Hardrive
Realtek RTL 8139 Family PCI Fast Ehternet NIC Network Adapter
Verto 128 MB GeForceFX5500 PCI Express graphics card

Recently I have been unable to connect to the internet through my home network. When the cables and everything are plugged in, a little bubble pops up from the taskbar and tells my that the network connection has limited or no connectivity. The network consists of my computer, my sisters computer( which connects fine), and my parents computer( which also connects fine), connected to a D-Link DI-604 Ethernet Broadband Router, then on to Motorola SB4200 SURFboard Cable Modem. The router has DHCP enabled as do all the computers on the network. When I open up the networks connection window and then select properties for the faulty conection, it says that the server did no supply the computer with an IP address. When I manually configure the connection, with an IP address in the range supplied by the router, for example 192.168.0.110, the network connection then has full connectivity. Yet I cannot access the network or the internet. I have tried using different cables, but to no avail. When I connect the computer directly to the modem, the connection still has no connectivity. Could the problem be that my ethernet adapter has stopped working?

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

Try disconnecting one of the other Pcs from the network and connect your PC to this port, now check that the network connection has obtain an IP address and DNS address automatically (under TCP/IP address properties) then go to start> run and type cmd and then type ipconfig, do you get an IP address? if you do then try connecting to the internet (or to the other machine on the network).

I am not saying this is the best solution, it's simply what I would do if I was in your shoes.

Paddy

L0sT4nDc0nFus3d

L0sT4nDc0nFus3d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried that and it didn't work. Thanks for the idea any way.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
check the driver for your nic card it may be the wrong driver or a windows drive that my not work right if so reinstall the driver from your compaq driver cd
:tazz:

Erbus Maximus

Erbus Maximus

• Pip
  • 7 posts
This is the same problem that i have been having with my computer. However mine also asks for me to activate windows every time i turn the computer on, even after activating it numerous times. I would recommend that you do as i'm going to do, when i finally get a new copy of win xp sp2, and simply re-format your computer and try again. If you want to get a new copy of sp2, you can order a copy totally free of charge from the windows website.

L0sT4nDc0nFus3d

L0sT4nDc0nFus3d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The problem is now fixed. I was reading another post on the site, and decided to give the winsockxp fix thing a try. It has fixed my connection and I am now back online. Thanks to all those who gave their advice. L0sT4nDc0nFus3d.

Robertt253

Robertt253

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Same problem I ran the winsockxp fix and all is fine now, thanks for the tip.

Stefani Kelsey

Stefani Kelsey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having the same issue and I have tried everything. It tells me it can't repair the connection because it can't contact my DHCP server. I tried repairing the connection. I tried the winsockxp fix...when I type ipconfig/renew it tells me it can't connect with the DHCP server. I have it enabled , so I don't know what it's deal is. I recently installed SP2, so I know that's the [bleep] responsible. I even tried to restore it back, but all my previous restore points were cleared. I have Version DSL, and are able to get online, but it's super slow and times out constantly. It's making me nuts.

Edited by Stefani Kelsey, 12 April 2005 - 09:39 PM.

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

You should be able to uninstall SP2 from add/remove programs.

Cheers

Paddy

Advertisements

Erbus Maximus

Erbus Maximus

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Not able to get mine to work, tried most of the recommended ideas above. Are there any other suggestions? I have other problems also. I'll post a Q asking about them soon so i could perhaps get some help with em. There is a whole lot of s*** that has come from installing SP2!!!

Stefani Kelsey

Stefani Kelsey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I did uninstall SP2 already...that's a good short term solution, but what about all the stuff that'll sneak in by my not having SP2 on there?

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
if u mean spyware etc a good solution is spybot search and destroy install and during install enable tea timer cant go wrong with that its free aswell just go to www.download.com where u can find it also i would try and remove any spyware if u have any b4 installing sp2 which could make it work correctly also try pinging the router from your computer see if it replies and if u have only a couple of computers on ur network why not disable the dhcp server and give all ur comps statics.

Sinjin

Sinjin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem and ran the WinsockFix tool and even tried NETSH WINSOCK RESET from the command line but neither one worked. I also tried that patch from Microsoft. A static IP works just fine. It does the same thing on both a wired & wireless NIC. I fixed it by uninstalling & reinstalling SP2.

Edited by Sinjin, 26 April 2005 - 05:11 PM.

jannali_jen

jannali_jen

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone - have you noticed how many times this topic has been viewed?!! It's obviously a widespread problem, and there must be a number of different causes judging by the various ways people have fixed it!!

Anyway, the Microsoft patch (see http://support.micro...om/?kbid=892896 for what its worth) and other suggestions I found unfortunately did not fix the problem for me - but in the end I pulled out all the PCI cards and swapped their slot positions and what do you know? I was back in business!

Hope this helps someone else!

Cheers, Jen

:tazz: