Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can anyone tell me how to copy video to my pc ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I have a load of old videos from the last 20 yrs or so, and want to chuck them out,, but i have stuff on them that i would like to keep.
I want to go thru them all, and edit out all the stuff i dont want, and copy the stuff i want to keep.

How is this done ?????

I am running windows xp pro,,,have a vcr and sky box connected together with scarts,, connected to my pc via a " hauppauge win tv express " tv card.
I get a great picture from the sky box onto my pc, and the sound is awesome thru my soundcard and 5:1 speakers. But,,,, i cant get the vcr picked up as a channel on the tv card ????

Really , really need some advice on this,,,,, How do you copy video onto your hardrive, so that you can edit it and copy it to dvd disc ?????

Cheers,,, kev.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You might want to consider borrowing another VCR deck and connecting those with scart to do the editing, then transfer the edited content to the hard drive

Does the ariel lead go to the VCR and then the skybox and then to the PC

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Keith,,
Thanks for the reply,,

The way i have it set up at the moment is,,,,

Dish cable straight into the sky box >>>>> ariel cable from the sky box RF out >>> into the RF in ,on the tv card. RF cable from sky box to vcr >>> RF cable from vcr to skybox.

This is the way it should be set up, as i remember it, when it was all attached to the telly.

Having a nightmare to be honest.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it is easy, can you go from the ariel to the skybox, skybox to the VCR, VCR to the PC

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Will give it a try,,,
Will post back as soon as i have re-connected it all.

frothybbc

frothybbc

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
try S video and audio leads if you have the socket S video . it went straight in for me . the problem becomes one of conversion to cdv or dvd .

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
think i am going to take this tv card back tommorow, and get one with an s-video socket on it.
Cant be arsed with all this lark anymore,, been at it all day.

Can get the sky box signal onto the card no problem,, thats fine,, although not as clear as i would have hoped. Sound is fine, as it all runs from the tv card straight into my audigy soundcard,, so i get awesome 5:1 surround sound .

Its just this video lark.

Thought i would get it all done at the same time, as i have been meaning to get around to editing and then copying my vids onto the hardrive, or onto cd/dvd.

I have a scart to s-vid connector,, might as well get the next model tv card with the s-vid socket.

Might be able to help me with one thing though,,,,,
Have connected a scart from the vcr, out to this s-vid box,,,then took a single phono cable from the yellow socket on the connector, to the yellow composite connector on the tv card,,,,,,,, whooooaa,,,,,, get the picture from the vcr at last,,,, but no sound !!! obviously, i have not connected the two audio leads nywhere so no sound,,, My question is,,,

If i get a better card, with s-vid,,,,then will the cable carry the picture and the audio ????
Would be a waste of time upgrading, if it only carries the picture.

As i said earlier,, i am a bit green with all this a/v to pc stuff,,, but i have taken a huge run at the learning curve today,, and am just about holding on.

Mind you,,,, once i have got the s-vid sorted out,, and have a channel for sky, and a channel for vcr then i will be chuffed to bits,,,, however,, then the problems will start,,,,,,,,,,,

How do you get the video onto the hdd or copied onto disc ????? :whistling:

Edited by rxkevco, 11 April 2006 - 02:51 PM.

frothybbc

frothybbc

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
easy with Svideo dont return it yet
1) check the audio loop is correct , you ought to have been supplied with a cable (audio to audio ) it crosses your tv card to your existing audio . i.e. it plugs in your tv card and sound card

2) on the software ther out to be a capture button S video set it to S video

3) on the software there is an audio device capture option set it to your existing audio card input

frothybbc

frothybbc

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
oh by the way you are right the problems start with the conversion of the files. choose your dvd burning software / dvd burner carefully . nero 6/7 is PROBABLY the best bet . good luck .

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Frothy,,
Thanks for that,,,

The tv card came with an audio cable, which connects to my audigy soundcard, just crosses from one to the other,,, thats great,, fantastic quality tv sound,, 5:1 surround,, great,
But,,, when i have the video channel on,, there is no sound.
Have checked thru all the video capture settings, and sound settings,, but cant find anything that will change to give me sound on the video.
Dont forget,, at the moment, i am using an RF out of the skybox, into an RF on the tv card,, picture is ok,but could be better ( hopefuly s-vid will improve it )
But for the vcr,, i am using the vcr scart out,, into the convertor box which has an s-vid, then the 3 phonos, red ,white, and yellow. By connecting the yellow phono cable from the connector to the phono input on the tv card, i get the vcr picture, but no sound,,,,, because there is nowhere on the tv card to put them,,
I hope you can picture what i mean.
If the tv card had an s-video socket,, then i would keep it as it is , and just run one s-vid, straight from the connector box into the tv card,,
Thats why i think i might change it tomorrow.

S-vid , should be the answer,,
Yes,, i have nero express, which has the nero 6 software on it,, never really used it, so now is the time to get it moving,,

Advertisements

frothybbc

frothybbc

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
i have to go out , be back in 10 minutes . been there so i understand

frothybbc

frothybbc

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
try the audio cable srtraight to your sound card . low volume . line in . then tweak the set up on the software

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi,
The audio cable is already in the line in on my soundcard.

It was the cable bundled with the tv card.
Goes from the audio out on the tv card , to the line in, on the soundcard.
This gives an awesome sound thru anything being watched on sky.

My soundcards other sockets, are already in use with my 5:1 surround sound speakers !!!!!

frothybbc

frothybbc

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
understand . the only solution is to set your audio now . that will be your next step . right click the speaker in the desktop or go to start settings control panel sounds and audio devices make tweak the settings but you will have to remember what they are set at now . check line in is not set to mute .

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi,,
In the audio settings, my audigy 2 is the default device for all my audio.
Thats the way i want to keep it, as it runs the 5:1 surround sound, and the cinema sound settings.

The problem is only with the connection from the vcr to the tv card.
If the right connection containing audio and picture was to get to the tv card, it would work fine, using my default audio card, but its not getting both signals at the moment,, just the picture, cos i have nowhere to connect the two audio cables,,, see what i mean,,,

I think the best thing to do , is to get a better tv card with an s-video option on it,,
That way i should be able to scart the vcr and skybox together, then run the s-vid cable straight to the new tv card !!!!
Am hoping this will both solve the audio problem with the vcr,, and provide a sharper all round picture.