Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Me problem

• Please log in to reply

maps71

maps71

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Cmdninst has caused an error in WININET.DLL.

what can i do?

Edited by maps71, 11 April 2006 - 08:36 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi maps71...

Is this after a reinstall of ME? Have you installed any new hardware or software recently? Do you have the installation cd?

wannabe1

maps71

maps71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
It's not been reinstalled, and no new hardware or software, and we don't have the instalation cd, when she bought the computer they didn't give. It's for a friend. Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Without an installation cd our options are pretty limited. Does the machine boot to Windows?

wannabe1

maps71

maps71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
no it won't boot, it gave this message "Cmdninst is going to close" - and doesn't boot, we even try as a slave in a computer with a windows xp and it blocks at the windows logo... Any solution?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We have about a 50/50 chance... :blink: We'll try to restore the system using command prompt,

You will need a WinME OEM Startup Disk for this procedure. Downlod the file to your desktop. Double click on the downloaded file and put a new, formatted floppy disk in the drive when prompted to do so. This will create the Startup Disk.

Start your computer by using the Windows Me Startup disk. At the Startup menu, choose Minimum Boot.

At the command prompt, type edit c:\windows\system.ini and then press "Enter".

Edit the shell= line so that it looks like this: shell=progman.exe (This is not a misspelling or typo :whistling: )

Press ALT+F, and then press S to save the changes to the System.ini file.

Press ALT+F, and then press X.

Remove your Windows Me Startup disk, and then restart your computer. When your computer restarts, Program Manager should start. If Program Manager does not start, post back.

On the File menu, click Run, type msconfig in the Command Line box, and then press "Enter". Click Launch System Restore to begin restoring your computer to a previous state. Choose a date before the problem began.

Let me know how this goes.

wannabe1

maps71

maps71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
we will try as soon as she buy a disk. tkz for your help. Will tell something after doing.