Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to make Linux Suse work better in surfing?

• Please log in to reply

KKTaiga

KKTaiga

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi everyone!

I just installe Linux suse 10.0 into my laptop and I am very pleased. It does all that I need -it has open office, Kopete and such -which I use daily BUT

How do I make my Linux work better in surfing? I mean, when I surf in the Internet, I often bump into problem that Linux cant show videos and so on, since it doesnt have Windows media players and such..

Linux offered me caffeine (or such) to be used once when I tried to open a video, but then it said that it couldnt play the file because it didnt have compatible extensions or so.

Do I just have to stop surfing on such sites or are there applications or such that I can download to help my surfing?

Thanks already,
KKTaiga from cold Finland

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
What browswer are you using? I use Firefox and have not typically had a problem. You do need to install plugins and extensions.

The plugins that I have are:

Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible
File name: nphelix.so
Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible version 0.4.0.293 built
with gcc 3.2.2 on Jul 30 2004

Shockwave Flash
File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 7.0 r25

MozPlugger 1.7.1

File name: mozplugger.so
MozPlugger version 1.7.1, written by Fredrik Hübinette <[email protected]>
and Louis Bavoil <[email protected]>.

nppdf.so
File name: nppdf.so

Plugger 5.1.3.(10ec486) handles QuickTime Windows Media Player Plugin
File name: plugger.so
Plugger version 5.1.3, written by Fredrik Hubinette <[email protected]>.

Java™ Plug-in 1.5.0_04-b05
File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
Java™ Plug-in 1.5.0_04

I also use xine for video files, but that is not part of the browser, but could be setup to access the program when you get a specific file type.

KKTaiga

KKTaiga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay, I started it all now..

I found atleast the following things: Helix, Moz Plugger and Plugger. I downloaded them and I TRIED to follow the instructions..

I know I have to extract them first, and that I managed to do for plugger. For Helix it was RPM package, and it failed to be installed. I checked that it contains all the right files and all, but I couldnt use it at all. Can I extract RPM package? Nope? Then Helix was .bin format -with what program I open it? Or do I just run it via consol or what? :whistling:

I know I am bad at this, but atleast I keep trying :help:

Okay, then I got most success with plugger. That I managed to extract. The following step should be then to run it via consol, isnt it? I tried all kinds of commands, but I couldnt make it happen.

Oh I wish I was captain Picard with my "make it so" but I am determined to do this... :)

So -More help needed! :blink:

Best wishes, KKTaiga.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You might want to look at:

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html

(if you enter "about:plugins" in a browser, it will list the plugins and also give information as to where to get more information).

A rpm file is installed and there is actually a way to extract the files, but typically you use the rpm command to install the files (rpm -ivh FILE). There are scripts to exact the files, using rpm2cpio and cpio, but generally you should not need to do that.

For Helix, check out:

https://player.helix...leaseNotes.html

and follow the installation instructions.

After looking at the installation pages, if you still have problems post the details of where you are getting stuck.

If you really want to extract files from an rpm:

http://www.linuxarki...6/msg02291.html

Edited by Kemasa, 14 April 2006 - 01:52 PM.

KKTaiga

KKTaiga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay, I decided to do all one by one. First I decided to deal with the Mplayer which I managed to followed the instructions to some extent. I downloaded all that I needed, I got the package open, but when I go to install, it asks me to

tar -xzvf mplayerplug-in-3.25.tar.gz
cd mplayerplug-in

I have seen "tar" before and "cd" but what do those mean? I feel so stupid, but I aint gonna give up :blink: When I klick the package open, I get to see masses of files, but I do not know then which one to choose... :whistling:

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
tar is "tape archive", which is a file which contains other files. cd is "change directory", which is just a means of moving around in the filesystem.

I am not sure of what is in that tar file, but there should be instructions telling you want you need to do. Sometimes it is just a matter of moving a file, other times you need to compile the program, often you need to run "configure" first, then "make".

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Then Helix was .bin format -with what program I open it? Or do I just run it via consol or what?

just type this in a console as root:

cd <directory where bin file is>
sh <name of bin file>