Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Duel boot setup

• Please log in to reply

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
OK! The system I've built is fast and reliable and all that, but I've been eyeballing the XP64 OS for a while now, and its finally gotten to me. The way I'd LIKE to do this is to keep my current HD as is, and get a second HD and install xp64 on it. My question is whether I could access data (music, documents, pictures) on the XP HD while using the XP64 HD as my OS?

I guess what I'm really asking is how my 2 HDs would interact with eachother in a duel boot setup.

I really don't want to reformat the HD I'm using right now. I have several programs on it that would be a hassel to reauthinticate, and I KNOW the setup I have right now is stable. WinXP64 doesn't seem to be the most stable of OSs right now, and while it does great things for 64edition games, running Maple from it would make me nervous.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yup wou should be able to detect and use the other hard drive, you may have to take ownership of some files but thats an easy thing to do, make sure files you want to access are in a shared folder or in the main root directory which is easier. Should work fine it usually does im not aware of any specific probelms with X64 that would stop you.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Goody, thats what I needed to hear, thanks.